Research Degrees (PhD/MPhil)
Why undertake a research degree with us?
- The Department of Mathematics is committed to high quality research and postgraduate training across a range of subjects within the mathematical sciences, and it has a vibrant, international and expanding research profile.
- Commitment to research excellence means that our postgraduates work in areas where we are at the forefront of international research and are supervised by experts in their chosen field.
- As a Leicester research student, your supervisor will introduce you to the fundamental problems in your field and provide you with state-of-the-art tools with which to solve them.
- In addition, you will receive support and training from a variety of other sources which will give you invaluable skills applicable to whatever career you chose to pursue. There are currently over 30 research students in the department, and our intention is to significantly increase this number in the coming years.
- Undertaking a research degree at Leicester is superb preparation for academic, Government and business careers.
Mathematics Research at Leicester
Research within our department is divided into Research Groups in each of these groups members of the department have made significant recent contributions. The quality of research being undertaken in our department is reflected in the high grades. The latest RAE (UK Government Audit for Research) showed that 95% of the department's research was internationally recognized, internationally excellent or world leading in terms of originality, significance, and rigour.
Research Groups have considerable links with leading mathematical centres in Europe, the US and the Far East, and are part of several European networks. These networks regularly organize workshops and training events, providing excellent opportunities for young researchers to learn about the most recent advances in major research topics.
Useful Departmental Information
For information regarding fees please click here.
|Department of Mathematics
University of Leicester
LEICESTER, LE1 7RH