Frank Neumann's Home Page
Senior Lecturer in Pure Mathematics
Department of Mathematics
University of Leicester
Leicester LE1 7RH
office: 106, First Floor, College House
tel: +44 (0) 116 252 2722
fax: +44 (0) 116 252 3915email: fn8(at)mcs.le.ac.uk
- Office Hours: Tuesdays 16.00-17.00, 106, First Floor, College House.
- Research Interests:
My major research areas are algebraic topology and algebraic geometry.
I am very much interested in interactions between these subjects and in
particular in applications of homotopy theory to algebraic geometry. My
recent interests are especially in homotopy and cohomology of moduli
stacks. This research has also direct relations with arithmetic geometry.
- Research Activities: I am a member of the pure mathematics group at the Department of Mathematics of the University of Leicester and an organiser of the Transpennine Topology Triangle (TTT), a collaborative research seminar between Leicester, Manchester and Sheffield, funded by the London Mathematical Society. I organised some of our meetings in Leicester. I am also member of the London Mathematical Society (LMS) and the American Mathematical Society (AMS) and the Leicester representative for the LMS midlands region and for the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences in Cambridge. I am also very much involved in the moment with the LMS-IMU-AMMSI scheme Mentoring African Research in Mathematics (MARM). I am a frequent visitor of the Centre de Recerca Matematica (CRM) in Barcelona, the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) in Mumbai and the Instituto Nacional de Matematica Pura e Applicada (IMPA) in Rio de Janeiro.
- Research Seminars: We are running the weekly Leicester Pure Mathematics Seminar and the Leicester Mathematics Colloquium. We are also running regularly a Geometry and Topology Research Seminar. Recent topics included Etale groupoids, Part I and a continuation on Etale groupoids, Part II.
- Research Meetings: I was an organiser of the Midlands Universities Pure Mathematics Seminar (MUPMS), the 17th British Topology Meeting and the 24th British Topology Meeting in Leicester. I was a scientific organiser of the CIMMA2005 Mathematical Congress in Almeria. I was also the main organiser of the LMS Midlands Regional Meeting and Workshop on Teichmueller Theory and Cluster Algebras. I was also involved as an organiser in the research programme Homotopy Theory and Higher Categories at the CRM in Barcelona in the academic year 2007/2008. As part of this activity I organised a Workshop on Topological and Differentiable Stacks. Currently I was involved in organising an Advanced Course on Topological Quantum Field Theories in Almeria, October 19th to 23rd, 2009. I was also involved with the British Mathematical Colloquium (BMC 2011) which took place in Leicester April 18-21, 2011.
- Teaching: During the academic year 2012/2013 I am teaching the pure mathematics modules MA3153 Number Theory and MA1104 Elements of Number Theory. All course material can be found on Blackboard. I am also teaching the MAGIC postgraduate course on Algebraic Topology.
I am a member of the Departmental Managing Group and especially responsible for outreach and widening participation. See our Outreach webpage for more information.