Frank Neumann's Home Page
Associate Professor in Pure Mathematics
Dr Frank Neumann
Department of Mathematics
University of Leicester
Leicester LE1 7RH
phone: +44 116 252 2722
fax: +44 116 252 3915
office: CH 106, First Floor, College House
- Office Hours: Thursdays 16.00-17.00, CH 106, First Floor, College House.
- Research Interests: My major research areas are algebraic topology and algebraic geometry. I am very much interested in interactions between these subjects and in particular in applications of homotopy theory to algebraic geometry. My recent interests are especially in homotopy and cohomology of moduli stacks. This research has also direct links with arithmetic geometry and mathematical physics.
- Research Activities: I am a member of the pure mathematics group at the Department of Mathematics of the University of Leicester and an organiser of the Transpennine Topology Triangle (TTT), a collaborative research seminar between Leicester, Manchester and Sheffield. I am also an organiser of the East Midlands Seminar in Geometry (EMSG), a collaborative research seminar between Nottingham, Leicester, Loughborough and Sheffield. Both are funded by the London Mathematical Society. I am also member of the London Mathematical Society (LMS) and the American Mathematical Society (AMS) and the Leicester representative for the LMS midlands region and for the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences in Cambridge. I am also very much involved in the moment with the LMS-IMU-AMMSI scheme Mentoring African Research in Mathematics (MARM). I am a frequent visitor of the Centre de Recerca Matematica (CRM) in Barcelona, the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) in Mumbai, the Instituto Nacional de Matematica Pura e Applicada (IMPA) in Rio de Janeiro and the Centre de Investigacion en Matematicas (CIMAT) in Guanajuato.
- Research Seminars: We are running the weekly Leicester Pure Mathematics Seminar and the Leicester Mathematics Colloquium. We are also running regularly a Geometry and Topology Research Seminar. Recent topics included etale groupoids, differentiable stacks and etale homotopy theory.
- Research Meetings: I was an organiser of the Midlands Universities Pure Mathematics Seminar (MUPMS), the 17th British Topology Meeting and the 24th British Topology Meeting in Leicester. I was a scientific organiser of the CIMMA2005 Mathematical Congress in Almeria. I was the main organiser of the LMS Midlands Regional Meeting and Workshop on Teichmueller Theory and Cluster Algebras. I was involved as an organiser in the research programme Homotopy Theory and Higher Categories at the CRM in Barcelona in the academic year 2007/2008. As part of this activity I organised a Workshop on Topological and Differentiable Stacks. I was involved in organising an Advanced Course on Topological Quantum Field Theories in Almeria, October 19th to 23rd, 2009 and with the British Mathematical Colloquium (BMC 2011) which took place in Leicester April 18-21, 2011. I organised the session on Algebraic Geometry and Number Theory.
- Teaching: During the academic year 2015/2016 I am teaching the pure mathematics modules MA3153 Number Theory and MA1013 Calculus and Analysis II. All course material can be found on Blackboard. I am also teaching the MAGIC postgraduate course on Algebraic Topology.
- Administration: I am a member of the Departmental Managing Group and especially responsible for outreach and widening participation. See our Outreach webpage for more information.