- G-STEM Year 12 Conference 2013
- National Science and Engineering Week 2013
G-STEM 2013 will take place on Tuesday 18 June 2013 on the University of Leicester campus. Click here for details and how to register for this free event. The maths programme will include activities and talks on the topology of shapes and the maths behind Rubik's Cube. More info here.
The NSEW 2013 takes place between 15 March and 24 March 2013 at the University of Leicester campus. We from mathematics offer two exciting sessions Math and Magic and Math and Juggling on March 15. See photos from last year here! If you are interested in this event please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Royal Institution Year 8 and 9 Masterclasses 2013
These take place on six Saturdays in February and March at the University of Leicester and at the National Space Centre. These are organised together with the Royal Institution and the National Space Centre. For more information and bookings please contact Dr Frank Neumann or Sue Forsythe
- The UK Open 2012 Speedcubing championship took place on the weekend of the 3rd and 4th of November 2013 at the O2 Academy situated in the University of Leicester Students' Union. Speedcubing is the activity of solving Rubik's cube or a related puzzle as quickly as possible. There are also other events such as blindfolded, one-handed and larger puzzles such as the 5x5x5 cube. The event will consist of the biggest official Speedcubing competition in the UK to date - with 93 competitors from 9 different countries. As well as an impressive line-up of Mathematical activities throughout the weekend, sponsored by the department of Mathematics. The event is open to the public; however, registration for entry into the competition is now closed.
You can expect to see impressive skills from world champions and world record holders, as well as rising stars who are expected to perform well on the day. You can also expect to see a record or two broken, be it national or international.
On both days, academics from the department of Mathematics will have a stall at the event that you can feel free to approach to talk about Mathematics at Leicester, careers in mathematics, and various interesting applications of Mathematics, from game theory to juggling. You can also try your hand at the four recreational mathematical problems written especially for the event, with prizes available for solutions.
During lunch on Saturday there will be a talk from the renowned Professor David Singmaster, on Mathematics & Rubik's cube. David is most famous for his solution to Rubik's cube which he published in 1981; and his conjecture that there is a finite upper bound on the number of times a number other than 1 can appear in Pascal's Triangle, which remains unproven. You can read David's wikipedia entry here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Singmaster.
To find out more about the event, please see our Press Release and visit http://worldcubeassociation.org/results/c.php?i=UKOpen2012 or http://ukca.org/competitions/uk-open-2012/ for more details. Here are some links covering the event: ITV, ITV.
- Getting Mathematics undergraduates into schools!
Leicester's Mathematics undergraduates are involved in the Undergraduate Ambassadors Scheme (UAS) and the Student Associates Scheme, whereby students are placed in schools and inspire and encourage students there. UAS is incorporated into the module MA3511 Communicating Mathematics and as such may be chosen as part of the Mathematics degree course.
If you are a mathematics teacher in Leicester or Leicestershire and would like to get involved with either UAS or the Student Associate Scheme then please contact Professor Nicole Snashall.
- National Science and Engineering Week 2012
- Come and take part in our exciting mathematical activities on offer this week. The University of Leicester NSEW page is here. Stay tuned for the NSEW 2013 event and the maths related activities.
- G-STEM Year 12 Conference 2012
This took place on Tuesday 19th June 2012. Click here for details. Stay tuned for information on the G-STEM Year 12 conference in 2013.
- Year 10 Masterclasses 2012
The last one took place on Saturday 23rd June and 7th July 2012.
For more information please contact Professor Nicole Snashall. Information for the 2013 Year 10 Masterclasses will be advertised here in due course.
- Year 8 and 9 Masterclasses 2012
These took place in 2012 on six Saturdays May 12th, 19th, 26th at the University of Leicester and Saturday June 16th, 23rd and 30th at the National Space Centre. These are organised together with the Royal Institution London and the National Space Centre Leicester. For more information please contact Dr Frank Neumann. Click here for more details. Look at this space for the 2013 series, which will be advertised soon.