Department of Mathematics
University of Leicester
Leicester LE1 7RH, UK
Phone: +44-(0)116 252 3888
Email: ss489 (at) le.ac.uk
Office: College House 202
My research is in representation theory. Representation theory is an ubiquitous area of mathematics relevant to different subjects such as algebra (associative algebras, Lie theory, Langlands program), number theory (automorphic forms), harmonic analysis (Fournier analysis) and geometry (invariant theory).
The focus of my research is on the representation theory of finite dimensional algebras. In particular, I'm interested in cohomology theories, homological algebra, and connections of representation theory to other areas of mathematics.
- Extensions for gentle algebras, (with I. Canakci and D. Pauksztello), preprint.
- Brauer graph algebras, Lecture Notes from the CIMPA research school in Mar del Plata, March 2016, arXiv:1612.00061, pdf.
- Mapping cones in the bounded derived category of a gentle algebra, (with I. Canakci and D. Pauksztello), arXiv:1609.09688, pdf.
- Almost gentle algebras and their trivial extensions, (with E. L. Green), arXiv:1603.03587, pdf.
- Brauer configuration algebras: A generalization of Brauer graph algebras, (with E. L. Green), arXiv:1508.03617, pdf.
- Extensions in Jacobian Algebras and Cluster Categories of Marked Surfaces, (with I. Canakci), arXiv:1408.2074, pdf.
- The Ext algebra of a Brauer graph algebra, (with E.L. Green, R. Taillefer, N. Snashall), to appear in the Journal of Non-Commutative Geometry, (pdf arXiv version)
- Special multiserial algebras are quotients of symmetric special multiserial algebras, (with E. L. Green), Journal of Algebra 473 (2017) pp. 397-405, (pdf arXiv version)
- Multiserial and special multiserial algebras and their representations, (with E. L. Green), Advances in Mathematics 302 (2016), pp. 1111-1136. (pdf arXiv version)
- Trivial extensions of gentle algebras and Brauer graph algebras, Journal of Algebra 444 (2015) pp.183-200, (pdf arXiv version)
- The geometry of Brauer graph algebras and cluster mutations, (with R. Marsh), Journal of Algebra, 419, (2014), pp. 141-166, (pdf arXiv version)
- Group actions and coverings of Brauer graph algebras (with E.L Green and S. Snashall), Glasgow Mathematical Journal, 56, No. 02, (2014), pp. 439-464, (pdf arXiv version)
- A circular order on edge-coloured trees and RNA m-diagrams (with R. Marsh), Advances in Applied Mathematics, 54, (2014), pp. 11-26. (pdf arXiv version)
- Chebyshev polynomials on symmetric matrices (with K. Erdmann), Journal of Linear Algebra and its Applications, 434, No. 12, (2011), (pdf arXiv version)
- Hochschild cohomology and support varieties for tame Hecke algebras (with N. Snashall), Q. J. Math., 62, No. 4, (2011) (pdf arXiv version)
- On the Hochschild cohomology of tame Hecke algebras (with K. Erdmann), Arch. Math., 117, No. 2, (2010) (pdf arXiv version)
- Rhombus filtrations and Rauzy algebras (with A. Clark and K. Erdmann), Bull. Sci. Math., 133, No. 1, (2009) (pdf arXiv version)
- Weight 2 blocks of general linear groups and Alvis-Curtis duality (with K.M. Tan), Int. Math. Res. Not. IMRN 2007, Art. ID rnm130 (pdf arXiv version)
- On decomposition numbers and Alvis-Curtis duality (with B. Ackermann), Math. Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc. 143, No. 3, (2007) (pdf arXiv version)
- Alvis-Curtis duality on q-Schur and Hecke algebras, Q. J. Math. 58, No. 2, (2007).
- On Young modules of general linear groups (with K. Erdmann), Journal of Algebra 310, No. 1, (2007).
- On the Coxeter complex and Alvis-Curtis duality for principal l-blocks of GLn(q), (with M. Linckelmann), J. Algebra Appl. 4, No. 3 (2005).
- A two-sided q-analogue of the Coxeter complex, (with M. Linckelmann), Journal of Algebra 289, No. 1, (2005).
Current PhD students:
- Drew Duffield (2013 - )
- Alex Sierra (2015 - ) (joint supervision with E. Marcos (Sao Paolo))
- NEW: EPSRC Early Career Fellowship EP/P016294/1: Graphs in Representation Theory
- EPSRC Research Project EP/K026364/1: Geometric representations of cluster categories, Brauer graph algebras and RNA secondary structures
- Other research funding.
Upcoming and recent talks:
- ARTA, Luminy, France, 4-8 September 2017
- Auslander Conference, Woods Hole, USA, 26 April - 1 May 2017
- Bristol, Seminar, 29 March 2017
- Conference in Representation Theory of the Americas, Vitoria do Espirito Santo, Brazil, March 13-17 2017
- Mathematics Colloquium, Auburn University, USA, November 2016
- Mathematics Colloquium, University of Kent, October 2016
- Algebra Seminar, Trondheim, Norway, September 2016
- Graz Algebra Seminar, Austria, 16 June 2016
- Bonn, Germany, 3 June 2016
- Oxford Algebra Seminar, 26 April 2016
- East Anglia Pure Mathematics Research Seminar, 18 April 2016
- Cardiff Pure Maths Colloquium, 14 April 2016
- Workshop on Brauer Graph Algebras, 20-24 March 2016, University of Stuttgart, Germany.
- CIMPA School, Homological Methods, Representation Theory and Cluster Algebras, 7-18 March 2016, Mar del Plata, Argentina.
- Infinite-dimensional representations of finite-dimensional algebras, 14-17 September 2015, Manchester, UK
- Maurice Auslander Distinguished Lectures and International Conference, 29 April - 4 May 2015, Woods Hole, MA, USA
- Homological Interactions between Rpresentation Theory and Singularity Theory, 15-10 December 2014, Edinburgh, UK.
- 29th Summer Conference on Topology and Its Applications, 23-26 July 2014, Staten Island, NY, USA.
- ARTA III, 16-20 June 2014, Montreal, Canada.
- BLOC 64, 6 May 2014, Leicester, UK.
- Cluster Algebras and Combinatorics, 6-8 February 2014, Muenster, Germany.
- Special sixty-third BLOC Meeting: Oxford, 17-18 October 2013. This meeting is on the occasion of Karin Erdmann's 65th birthday.
- HH^4 - fourth conference on Hochschild (Co-)Homology, August 12 - 16, 2013, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Conferences and workshops that I have organised:
- Workshop on Cluster Algebras and Finite Dimensional Algebras, 3 - 5 June 2015 at the University of Leicester.
- Special 63rd BLOC Meeting: Oxford, 17-18 October 2013. This meeting is on the occasion of Karin Erdmann's 65th birthday.
- 62th BLOC/REPNET meeting, 10 July 2013, Leicester.
- 60th BLOC/ARTIN meeting, satellite meeting to BMC 2013, 25 March 2013, Sheffield.
- Workshop on geometry, representation theory and clusters, 21-23 June 2012, Leicester.
- 50th BLOC/REPNET meeting, 9-10 September 2010.
- 46th BLO/REPNET meeting, 1-2 July 2009, Leicester.
What's happening at Leicester:
- NEW: Exhibition 'Women of Mathematics' in Leicester from 8-14 March 2017, exhibition opening with talks on 8 March, click here for the programme.
- Leicester Pure Maths Seminar
- BLOC Meetings
Support material for MA7602
Appearances on BBC Radio Leicester:
- Interview 'At what age should we start learning mathematics', 20 February 2017
- Talk Show 'All about π', September 2013
- Talk Show 'Women in Mathematics', May 2013
Women in Mathematics
- Why are there so few women professors in mathematics? BBC radio 4 Women's Hour
- Why are there so few women in mathematics (The Atlantic)
- The guardian on the subject: Helen Powell and Lucy Ward
- Why women leave academia (The Guardian)
- Why don’t females compete in international math olympiads at the same rate as their male classmates? (The Atlantic)
- Detexify: finding Latex symbols
Writing on Board — JPEG image, 5030 kB (5150720 bytes)