Bennet Link G57
Department of Mathematics
University of Leicester
Telephone: +44 (0)116 223 1031
- PhD University of Warwick
- LMS Scheme 3 grant for YaMCATS network, 2014-present
- LMS Scheme 1 conference grant, 2016
- EU Marie Curie International Reintegration Grant HOMALGHIGH (2011-2015)
Between 2005-2008, I was principal investigator of the Australian Research Council Postdoctoral Fellowship DP0558598 held at Macquarie University.
I am an enthusiastic speaker who contributes to the dissemination of knowledge in my field with several talks at international conferences and at Institutions worldwide.
- 9th Meeting of the Yorkshire and Midlands Category Seminar, Nov. 2016
- Higher structures: Advances, MATRIX University of Melbourne, June 2016
- Opening conference for the program on Higher Structures in Geometry and Physics, Max Planck Institute Bonn, January 2016
- AMS 2014 Fall Sectional Meeting, October 2014
- International category theory conference CT2014, July 2014
- International category theory conference CT2013, July 2013
- Séminaire Itinérant de categories, Louvain La Neuve, May 2013
- Satellite thematic session in homotopy theory ECM6, July 2012
- Foundational Methods in Computer Science 2012, June 2012
- TTT85, University of Manchester, October 2012
- Canadian Mathematical Society 2012 Summer meeting, June 2012
- The 6th Scottish Category Seminar, University of Strathclyde, May 2012
- Foundational Methods in Computer Science 2010, June 2010
- International Category Theory Conference CT2009, July 2009
- The 2009 Meeting of the Israel Mathematical Union, April 2009
- NovemberFest, Carnegie Mellon University, November 2009
- Fall 2009 AMS Eastern Section Meeting, October 2009
- 2009 Summer Conference of Topology and its Applications, July 2009
- Algebraic Topology, Group Theory and Representation Theory, June 2009
- Arolla Conference in Algebraic Topology, August 2008
- Fields Institute Workshop on Higher Categories and their Applications, January 200
- International Category Theory Conference CT2007, June 2007
- The Morgan-Phoa Mathematics Workshop, November 2006
- International Category Theory Conference CT2006, July 2006
- AMS 2005 Spring Sectional Meeting, April 2005
- IMA 2004 Summer Program: n-Categories: Foundations and Applications, June 2004
- TTT39, March 2003
- The 79th Peripatetic Seminar on Sheaves and Logic, June 2003
- Groups in Galway, May 2002
- Topology and Geometry Seminar, University of Haifa (Israel), August 2016
- Topology Seminar, The Hebrew University (Israel), August 2016
- Topology Seminar, University of Chicago (USA) series of 3 talks, April 2016
- Category Theory Seminar, University of Cambridge (UK), March 2016
- Australian Category Seminar, Macquarie University (Australia), series of 9 talks between August-December 2015
- Topology Seminar, Australian National University (Australia), November 2015
- Differential Geometry Seminar, University of Adelaide (Australia), Nov. 2015
- Topology seminar, University of Sheffield (UK) May 2015
- Department Colloquium, University of Kent (UK) December 2014
- Category theory seminar, University of Milano (Italy) March 2014
- London Algebra colloquium, Queen Mary University of London (UK) March 2014
- Topology Seminar, Universitat Autonoma Barcelona (Spain), January 2014
- Mathematics Department Colloquium, Dalhousie University (Canada), June 2012
- Topology Seminar, University of Manchester (UK), March 2012
- Deformation Theory Seminar, University of Pennsylvania (USA), May 2010
- Topology Seminar, Northwestern University (USA), May 2010
- Topology Seminar, MIT (USA), February 2010
- Topology Seminar, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (USA), Dec. 2009
- Topology Seminar, University of Chicago (USA), November 2009
- Homotopy Theory Seminar, The Hebrew University (Israel), December 2008
- Mathematics Department Colloquium, University of Haifa (Israel) , Nov. 2008
- Atlantic Category Theory seminar, Dalhousie University (Canada), February 2008
- Séminaire Algèbre et Topologie, University of Nice Sophia-Antipolis (France), June 2007
- Australian Category Seminar, Macquarie University (Australia), 23 talks between 2004-2008
- Categorical Geometry Seminar, Kansas State University (USA) April 2007
- Algebraic Topology Seminar, University of British Columbia, (Canada), June 2006
- Category Theory Seminar, University of Chicago (USA), May 2005
- Mathematics Department Colloquium, SUNY at Buffalo (USA), March 2004
- Séminaire Algèbre et Topologie , Université Louis Pasteur (France), June 2003
- Algebra Seminar, University of Glasgow (UK), May 2003
- Topology Seminar, Razmadze Mathematics Institute of the Georgian Academy of Sciences, (Republic of Georgia) February 2002
Conferences and workshops (co-organised)
Algebraic Topology Session at the 31st Summer Conference on Topology and its Applications, University of Leicester, 2-5 August 2016
YaMCATS meetings, 2014 - present
TTT93, University of Leicester, 12 November 2014
Seminar on Category Theory and its applications
I am organising, together with Alexander Kurz, the Seminar on Category Theory and its applications.
- Generalised Linear Models
- Linear Statistical Models
- Linear Algebra
I am currently Euler House Tutor.
- S.Paoli, Weakly globular N-fold categories as a model of weak N-categories, preprint 2016, arXiv.1609.04072.
- S.Paoli, Weakly globular Tamsamani N-categories and their rigidification, preprint 2016, arXiv.1607.04870.
- S.Paoli, Pseudo-functors modelling higher structures, preprint 2016, arXiv 1605.06895.
- S.Paoli, Homotopically discrete higher categorical structures, preprint 2016, arXiv 1605.05112
- S. Paoli, D. Pronk, The weakly globular double category of fractions of a category, Theory and Application of categories, 29 (2014) 696-774.
- D. Blanc, S. Paoli, Segal-type algebraic models of n-types, Algebraic and Geometric Topology, 14 (2014) 3419-3491.
- S. Paoli, D. Pronk, A double categorical model of weak 2-categories, Theory and Application of categories, 28, (2013), 933-980.
- D. Blanc, S. Paoli, Two-track categories, Journal of K-theory, 8(1) (2011), 59-106.
- T. M. Fiore, S. Paoli, A Thomason model structure on the category of small n-fold categories, Algebraic and Geometric Topology, 10 (2010), 1933-2008.
- S. Paoli, Weakly globular catn-groups and Tamsamani’s model, Advances in Mathematics, 222, (2009) 621-727.
- S. Paoli, Internal categorical structures, ‘Towards Higher Categories’, The IMA volumes in Mathematics and its applications, edited J. C. Baez and J. P. May, Springer (2009), 85-103.
- T. M. Fiore, S. Paoli, D. A. Pronk, Model structures on the category of small double categories, Algebraic and Geometric Topology, 8 (2008) 1855-1959.
- S. Lack, S. Paoli, 2-nerves for bicategories, K-theory, 38 (2), (2008), 153-175.
- S. Paoli, Semistrict models of connected 3-types and Tamsamani weak 3-groupoids, Journal of Pure and Appl. Algebra, 211, (2007), 801-820.
- S. Lack, S. Paoli, An operadic approach to internal structures, Applied Categorical Structures, 13 (3), (2005), 205-222.
- S. Paoli On the non-balanced property of the category of crossed modules in groups, Journal of Pure and Appl. Algebra, 197, (1-3) , (2005), 19-22.
- S. Paoli, (Co)homology of crossed modules with coefficients in a $\pi_1$-module, Homology, Homotopy and Applications, 5 (1) (2003), 261-296.
My research work is in higher category theory and homotopy theory. I am particularly interested in the interactions between these two areas.
I also work on questions in homological algebra. I have maintained an active involvement in my field via collaborations and research stages at some of the main research centres for my area, such as the Centre for Australian Category Theory at Macquarie University.
YaMCATS is a LMS-funded research network in category theory between the Universities of Leicester, Leeds and Sheffield. I am the grant-holder.
Current PhD students
- Andrew Smith