Equal Opportunities in Maths
The Department of Mathematics at Leicester strongly supports equal opportunities for all and the advancing of women’s careers within mathematics and has signed up to the London Mathematical Society’s good practice scheme.
The Scheme sets out five principles of good practice:
- A robust organisational framework to deliver equality of opportunity and reward.
- Appointment, promotion and selection processes and procedures that encourage men and women to apply for academic posts at all levels.
- Departmental structures and systems that enable men and women to progress and continue in their careers.
- Departmental organisation, structure, management arrangements and culture that are open, inclusive and transparent and encourage the participation of all staff.
- Flexible approaches and provisions that encompass the working day, the working year and a working life and enable individuals, at all career and life stages, to maximise their contribution to mathematics, their department and institution.
The Department has been awarded the Athena SWAN Bronze Department award.
This award recognises that in addition to university-wide policies the department promotes gender equality and to addresses challenges particular to the discipline.
Wednesday 8 March - Wednesday 15 March in the David Wilson Library Reading Room.
This exhibition will showcase fourteen portraits offering an unusual insight into mathematics.
A launch event lunch will take place between 12-1pm in the David Wilson Library Reading Room but if you’d rather peruse the exhibition with a glass of wine in hand, then join the Mathematics Department in the Library Reading Room at 5:30pm.
If the exhibition captures your interest, then you may also enjoy the “Women in Mathematics” talks being provided by mathematicians from the University of Leicester. As part of the opening, we will celebrate the different facets of mathematical work done by women in mathematics at the University of Leicester. There will be four talks for general audience in the Belvoir Park Lounge in the Charles Wilson Building showcasing the wide range of mathematical work spanning topics from pure mathematics to mathematical modelling and actuarial science.
Women in Mathematics at Leicester: 8 March 2017, 3-5pm Belvoir Park Lounge, Charles Wilson Building
3.00-3.30pm Dr Aihua Zhang: Analysis on Brexit voting pattern
3,30-4.00pm Dr Katrin Leschke: Soap films, quaternions and geometry
4.00-4.30pm Mrs Leena Sodha: Actuarial Science: Women working in male dominated mathematical professions
4.30-5.00pm Dr Sibylle Schroll: Dessins d’enfants and representations theory
5.00-5.30pm Poster session
The exhibition is open to all and is free.
Contact Details for Women in the Maths Department
|Dr Dalia Chakrabarty||Lecturer||MA010B||252 5352||dc252|
|Dr Katrin Leschke||Reader Head of Student Support, Woman's Tutor||CH203||252 5237||kl96|
|Dr Sheila McCann||Visiting Research Associate||smm60|
|Dr Simona Paoli||Lecturer||BEN G57||223 1031||sp424|
|Dr Sibylle Schroll||Reader||CH202||252 3888||ss489|
|Prof Nicole Snashall||Professor||CH105||252 3881||njs5|
|Leena Sodha||Head of Actuarial Science||MA010E||252 5287||ls305|
|Tatiana Tyukina||E-Learning Teaching Fellow||MA208||252 5226||tt51|
|Dr Aihua Zhang||Lecturer||MA118||252 5354||
Women in Maths: The School of Mathematical Sciences at Nottingham University have made some videos to promote women in maths and physics, like a mini ad campaign. Check them out!