ADULT EDUCATION AND WELL-BEING
SCUTREA CONFERENCE 2012
Date and Location of Conference
- 3rd July (2pm) to 5th July (12 noon) 2012
- John Foster Hall, University of Leicester, Manor Road, Leicester LE2 2LG.
[The annual conference of the Standing Conference on University Teaching and Research in the Education of Adults – SCUTREA ]
The Institute of Lifelong Learning of the University of Leicester is delighted to be hosting the SCUTREA conference for 2012 at its award-winning conference facilities at the John Foster Hall, University of Leicester. Focussing on the theme of ‘Adult Education and Well-Being’, the conference will bring together researchers and practitioners from many different fields and sectors who are working with adult learners. The conference will provide opportunity to wrestle with questions about whether learning throughout adult life is ‘good for you’, what that might mean, and how this can be measured and evaluated.
Questions which may be explored at the conference include:
- How does well-being relate to ‘happiness’, to ‘personal’ or ‘spiritual’ development, or to ‘social capital’?
- To what extent is ‘well-being’ to do with the cultivation of an ‘inner life’, with a sense of social well-being, or with the fact of gaining confidence and skills to get a (better) job?
- What happens to patterns of learning when communities decline and decay? How is learning part of re-generation?
- How are all of these addressed at a time when distance and on-line learning is on the increase? Can on-line learning facilitate personal and social development as much as face-to-face study?
- In an age of attention to skills and competencies, to what extent do professional studies programmes attend to personal development issues?
- How do recent economic and political factors and decisions impinge upon all these areas?
A pre-Conference event linking the 150th Anniversary of formal adult education in Leicester (at Vaughan College, Leicester) to the conference theme is to be held from 2nd-3rd July. SCUTREA participants are invited to arrive on the afternoon of Monday July 2nd to play a full part in this event – ‘Adult Education, Well-Being, Personal Development’ – at which Prof. John Field (University of Stirling) and Dr Cheryl Hunt (University of Exeter) will play leading roles.
Call for Papers
The SCUTREA Call for Papers (deadline Feb 20th 2012) can be found by visiting the SCUTREA website
Click here for conference fee details
Booking a Place
To book your place and pay via invoice, cheque or BACS payment please click here
To book your place and pay via credit/debit card please click here