SCUTREA Conference 2016
The Standing Conference on the University Teaching and Research in the Education of Adults (SCUTREA) will be held from Tuesday 5 to Thursday 7 July 2016 at College Court Conference Centre, University of Leicester.
The theme of the conference will be 'Adult Education in Austere Times'.
Registration now open:
If you wish to Register online and pay by Credit/Debit Card, please visit the shop@le page
If you require an invoice or wish to pay by cheque or BACS, please register using this form
About the Conference
Adult Education in Austere Times
Adult education matters. It matters at home, in work, and in the community. It matters to families, to the economy and to our health and wellbeing. Its decline is indicative of the huge price this and future generations are set to pay for the politics of austerity. Yet it could not be clearer that we are living through times that demand more adult education and learning, not less.
At the conference we will explore the tensions between the politics of austerity and the positive impacts and benefits of adult education, by addressing themes that could include:
- Active citizenship
- Adult education, character and the cultivation of virtues
- Career enhancement and development
- Creativity and innovation
- Families and communities
- Formal and Informal learning
- Learning in multiple communities
- Lifelong learning and mobility
- Skills and employment
- Second chance education
- Social inclusion
- Teaching and learning environments/spaces
- Wellbeing and aging
- Widening participation
- Dr Jim Crowther, Senior Lecturer in Community Education in the School of Education, University of Edinburgh.