Personal & Professional Development (2)
Year 2 - Terms 4, 5 & 6
30 seminar hours
- Demonstrate a sophisticated ability to reflect on personal and professional development.
By the end of this module, typical students should be able to:
- Show a commitment to personal and professional development including self-awareness and an awareness of fitness to practice in relation to clients.
- Reflect on personal development including ways in which life experiences affect self and relationships with peers clients and other professionals.
- Demonstrate the capacity to engage in rigorous self-examination particularly as it affects therapeutic relationships.
- Demonstrate the capacity to take an active part in personal development group.
- Recognise personal and professional limitations and identify ways of addressing them.
- Demonstrate the capacity to maintain appropriate professional boundaries even when they are challenged by the client or others.
- Demonstrate the capacity to give and receive feedback constructively, and be able to reflect and made appropriate changes.
- Evaluate and review personal and professional development progress, making links with theoretical knowledge and counselling process.
Summary of Content
- Participation in experiential group work.
- Developing strategies re: self care.
- Understanding reflective practice through experience.
- Reflective writing through keeping a journal.
- Two 500 word reflective statements focussing on personal and professional development each to be submitted at the end of each term, and a 1,000 self appraisal statement at the end of the year, i.e. term 6.