MA in Psychodynamic Counselling and Psychotherapy
Applications are being accepted for October 2013 entry.
Course offered subject to minimum enrolment levels.
The MA in Psychodynamic Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP Accredited) provides substantial training in psychodynamic counselling and psychotherapy.
The overall aim of the course is to facilitate mature, reflective psychodynamic practice, leading to a nationally recognised professional counselling qualification.
- Year 1 provides an introduction to psychodynamic theory, the counselling relationship, the therapeutic frame and research methods.
- Year 2 concentrates on practice issues, including assessment and mental health, evidence based practice, major presenting problems and research methods. Research evidence, contemporary practice and contextual issues influence the whole course.
- Year 3 involves weekly attendance for supervision, regular tutorials with a designated research supervisor and completion of a 20,000 word dissertation.
Counselling training involves experiential work; interacting with others in role-play and actual client work. In Years 1 & 2, Personal Development Groups are an integral part of the teaching day. Each group is facilitated by an experienced therapist and students give and receive support from others, essential for a safe learning environment.
Students need to complete all modules to gain the MA in Psychodynamic Counselling and Psychotherapy. This is the only award that is BACP accredited. Any other award that is conferred by the exam board is not BACP accredited.
The course syllabus reflects contemporary issues and developments in the counselling and psychotherapy profession. Staff members represent different practice contexts e.g. NHS, private practice and educational settings.
Associate staff members are largely practitioners who provide students with insight into current developments into specific aspects of practice and the profession.
The core team are actively engaged in research and research evidence is incorporated into all aspects of the course teaching and regularly updated.
The core staff are accredited members of the BACP and regularly attend conferences and professional meetings in order to keep abreast of developments. Knowledge gained informs their teaching and their interactions with students.
Is this the Course for me?
For information about dates, times, course fees, entry requirements and course content, please have a look around the following webpages.
Minimum Enrolment Levels
This MA course is offered for October 2013 entry subject to meeting the following deadlines and enrolment levels:
- 30th June 2013: 12 offers to have been made
- 31st July 2013: 16 firm acceptances received
What do our students say?
"This course didn't just offer me a piece of paper to hang on the wall and the possibility of work as a counsellor, it offered me a whole new way of thinking and being."