Sally Kyd Cunningham
LLB (Leicester), LLM (Leicester), PhD (Leicester)
Telephone: 0116 252 2372
Sally Kyd’s research lies in the fields of Criminal Law and Criminal Justice. Her main specialism is in road traffic offences, having become interested in them through her PhD on vehicular homicide, after which her interest broadened and she published a book entitled Driving Offences: Law, Policy and Practice with Ashgate in 2008. In 2011-12 she held an AHRC Early Career Fellowship funding a project to examine how the new causing death by driving offences created by the Road Safety Act 2006 have been operating in practice, with further funding from the Society of Legal Scholars. Her research formed the basis of one of the School of Law’s Impact Case Studies entered into the 2014 REF. Sally is co-editor on the 6th, 7th and 8th editions of the popular criminal law textbook by Clarkson and Keating. She is the Director of Research and Deputy Head of Leicester Law School.
Sally teaches Criminal Law and Criminal Justice System.
Criminal Law and Criminal Justice.
Sally welcomes approaches from prospective doctoral candidates in any field of Criminal Law and/or Justice, but especially the investigation of, or substantive law relating to, violent offences and traffic offences. She has supervised PGR students researching subjects as diverse as identity theft, fitness to plead and chemical castration.
- Kyd Cunningham, S. (with S Cammiss), “Swift and Sure Justice? Mode of Trial for Causing Death by Driving Offences” (2015) Criminology and Criminal Justice 15(3): 321-339.
- Kyd Cunningham, S. “Serious Driving Offences in England and Wales” in van Dijk and Wolswijk (eds.) Criminal liability for Serious Traffic Offences (Eleven International Publishing 2015), pp.39-66.
- Kyd Cunningham, S. (with HM Keating, T Elliott & MA Walters) Clarkson and Keating: Criminal Law: Text and Materials 8th ed. (Sweet & Maxwell, 2014)
- Kyd Cunningham, S., “Has law reform policy been driven in the right direction? How the new causing death by driving offences are operating in practice”  Crim LR 712-729
- Cunningham, S. “Complicating Complicity: Aiding and Abetting Causing Death by Dangerous Driving in R v Martin” (2011) 74(5) Modern Law Review 767-793
- Cunningham, S. “Recklessness: being reckless and acting recklessly” (2010) 21(3) King’s Law Journal 445-467
- Cunningham, S. Driving Offences: Law Policy and Practice (Ashgate, 2008).
- “Vehicular Homicide: Need for a Special Offence?” in CMV Clarkson, C.M.V. and Cunningham, S., Criminal Liability for Non-Aggressive Death (Ashgate, 2008)
- Cunningham, S. “Punishing drivers who kill: putting road safety first?” (2007) 27(2) Legal Studies 288