JD (Cagliari), LLM (Nottingham), PhD (Nottingham), Avvocato - Member of the Italian Bar
Email : email@example.com
Telephone: 0116 252 2339
Paolo joined Leicester as a Lecturer in September 2010. He graduated in law at the University of Cagliari (Italy) in 2005, where he worked as teaching as research assistant until 2006. He obtained an LL.M. in 2007 and a Ph.D. in 2012 from the University of Nottingham. His research interests lie in the areas of international investment law, alternative dispute resolution and international economic law in the broadest sense. His Ph.D., entitled 'Towards a New System of ICSID Review', proposed the reform of the system of investment arbitration towards the establishment of an appeals mechanism. Before coming to Leicester, Paolo taught as a tutor ECHR and EU Law in the Law School at the University of Nottingham from 2008 to 2010. Paolo is a qualified attorney and registered member of the Italian Bar Association.
International investment law; international economic law; international trade law; alternative dispute resolution; commercial conflict of laws.
- Vargiu P., Environmental Expropriation in International Investment Law, in Treves T. - Seatzu F. (eds.), Foreign Investment and Common Concerns: An International Law Perspective (T.M.C. Asser Press, forthcoming 2013)
- Vargiu P., Borgia F., When Investment Law Takes Over: Towards a New Legal Regime to Regulate Asia Pacific's Submarine Cable Boom, 29 Chinese (Taiwan) Yearbook of International Law and Affairs (2013) (forthcoming).
- Vargiu P., Borgia F., The Inuit Declaration on Sovereignty in the Arctic: Between the Right to Self-Determination and a New Concept of Sovereignty?, The Yearbook of Polar Law IV (2012): 189–204.
- Vargiu P., The establishment of the United Nations Appeals Tribunal, 7(2) International Organizations Law Review 261 (2010).
- Vargiu P., Beyond Hallmarks and Formal Requirements: a “Jurisprudence Constante” on the Notion of Investment in the ICSID Convention, 10(5) Journal of World Investment and Trade 753 (2009).
- Vargiu P. , Cenni sulla protezione delle minoranze nazionali nel sistema delle Nazioni Unite Unite (Brief remarks on the protection of national minorities in the UN system), in Deplano R. (ed.), I diritti delle persone dentro e fuori i confini costituzionali, Bari, 2008, p. 56-61.
Intellectual Property Law
International Commercial Arbitration
General Principles of Public International Law
International Investment Law
Law and Organisation of the World Trading System
International Environmental Law
Commercial Conflict of Laws