Professor of Civil Justice
Licenciado (Universidad de Vigo), LLM (University of Limerick), PhD (NUI, Cork) Member of the Spanish Bar, Ávila (non-practising)
Telephone: 0116 252 5332
Pablo Cortés has a chair in Civil Justice at Leicester where he teaches and conducts research in the field of dispute resolution, civil procedure and consumer law. He has been invited to speak in many international conferences and expert meetings, including by the UN Commission for International Trade Law (UNCITRAL GW III), the European Commission (DG SANCO and DG JUSTICE) and the European Parliament (IMCO and JURI). He is a fellow of the National Centre for Technology and Dispute Resolutions (University of Massachusetts) and in 2012 he was a Gould Research Fellow at Stanford University. He is also a member of the Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) Taskforce of the International Mediation Institute and of the ODR Advisory Group of the Civil Justice Council. In the 2014 REF he was selected as one of the Impact Case Studies for the School based on his role assisting the European Commission in the drafting of the ADR Directive and the ODR Regulation.
Online Dispute Resolution, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Civil Procedure, Comparative Law, E-Commerce and Consumer Law.
Pablo has recently been involved in two research projects with a budget of over £100k. The first one was a research grant awarded by the European Commission as part of a consortium of universities with the task of proposing legislative action to promote online mediation for civil and commercial matters. The second grant was awarded by the Nuffield Foundation to evaluate from a socio-legal perspective the main consumer ADR schemes operating in the EU.
- The Law of Consumer Redress in an Evolving Digital Market: Upgrading from Alternative to Online Dispute Resolution (Cambridge University Press, 2017) forthcoming.
- (ed) The New Regulatory Framework for Consumer Dispute Resolution (Oxford University Press, 2016) forthcoming.
- “Enforcing EU Consumer Policy More Effectively: A Three-Pronged Approach” in S. Drake and M. Smith, Effective Enforcement of EU Law and Policy (Edward Elgar, 2016).
- “The Impact of EU Law in the ADR Landscape in Italy, Spain and the UK: Time for Change or Missed Opportunity?” (2015) 16(2) ERA Forum 125–147.
- “A New Regulatory Framework For Extra-Judicial Consumer Redress: Where We Are And How To Move Forward" (2015) 35(1) Legal Studies, 114-141.
- “Consumer Dispute Resolution Goes Online: Reflections on the Evolution of European Law for Out-Of-Court Redress” (2014) 21(1) Maastricht Journal 14-38 (with A. Lodder).
- “Building a Global Redress System for Low-Value Cross-Border Disputes” (2013) 62(2) International Comparative Law Quarterly 407-440 (with F. Esteban de la Rosa)
- “A Comparative Review of Offers to Settle – Would an Emerging Settlement Culture Pave the Way for their Adoption in Continental Europe? (2013) 32(1) Civil Justice Quarterly 42-67.
- “Il Ruolo dell’ADR nelle Controversie Familiari: una Riflessione sull’Offer to Settle fra Giurisdizioni in un Confronto tra Common Law e Civil Law”, in Le Ragioni degli Altri. Mediazione e Famiglia tra Conflitto e Dialogo: una Prospettiva Comparatistica ed Interdisciplinare (Firenze University Press, 2012).
- “Online Dispute Resolution for Consumers -Online Dispute Resolution Methods for Settling Business to Consumer Conflicts” in M. Wahab, E. Katsh, D. Rainey Online Dispute Resolution (Eleven International Publishing, 2012) - 2012 CPR Book Prize.
Full publication list (pdf, 137kb)