BA (Ulster), PhD (EUI, Florence), FHEA
Telephone: 0116 252 2646
Mark Bell is Head of the School of Law. He conducts research in the areas of national and European anti-discrimination law and employment law. He is the author of Racism and Equality in the European Union (OUP, 2008) and Anti-Discrimination law and the European Union (OUP, 2002). He is an active participant in the European Working Group on Labour Law and he is a member of the Executive Committee of the Society of Legal Scholars. He is a member of the Academic Round Table of the Equality Challenge Unit. He was a member of the European Commission's Network of Legal Experts in the Non-Discrimination Field (2004-2010) and in 2010/11 he worked with the International Labour Organisation to develop training on the protection of precarious workers. He has collaborated with many national and European NGOs working on equality law. Recently, he has provided training on anti-discrimination law for the OSCE.
National and European anti-discrimination law and employment law.
- (2014) 'Constitutionalization and EU Employment Law' in H Micklitz (ed), Constitutionalization of European Private Law (OUP) 137-169. Available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2327094
- (2014) 'Article 20' in S Peers, T Hervey, J Kenner and A Ward (eds), The EU Charter of Fundamental Rights - A Commentary (Hart Publishing) 563-577.
- (2013) 'Occupational Health and Safety in the UK: At a Crossroads?' in E Ales (ed), Health and Safety at Work: European and Comparative Perspective (Kluwer Law International) 375-410. Available at: https://lra.le.ac.uk/handle/2381/28519
- (2012) 'Between Flexicurity and Fundamental Social Rights: the EU Directives on Atypical Work' 37 European Law Review 31-48
- (2012) 'Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation: Alternative Pathways in EU Equality Law' 60 American Journal of Comparative Law 127-146
- (2011) 'Achieving the Objectives of the Part-Time Work Directive? Revisiting the Part-Time Workers Regulations' 40 Industrial Law Journal 254-279
- (2011) 'British Developments in Non-Discrimination Law: the Equality Act' in R Schulze (ed), Non-Discrimination in European Private Law (Mohr Siebeck) 209-231.
- (2011) 'The principle of equal treatment: widening and deepening' in P Craig and G de Burca (eds), The evolution of EU law (2nd edn, OUP) 611-639.
- (2011) 'Exploring the Boundaries of Positive Action under EU Law: a search for Conceptual Clarity' 48 Common Market Law Review 1503-1526 (with Lisa Waddington).
- (2011) 'The principle of non-discrimination within the Fixed-Term Work Directive' in MA Moreau, Before and After the Economic Crisis: What Implications for the 'European Social Model'? (Edward Elgar) 155-169.
- (2011) 'Promoting Equality through Social Inclusion: Case Studies from the European Social Charter' in T Novitz and D Mangan (eds), The Role of Labour Standards in Development: From Theory to Sustainable Practice? (OUP) 76-94.
- (2010) 'Judicial enforcement of the duties on public authorities to promote equality' Public Law 672.
- (2010) 'Irregular migrants: beyond the limits of solidarity?' in M Ross and Y Borgmann-Prebil (eds), Promoting solidarity in the European Union (Oxford: OUP) 151.
Full publication list (pdf)