- Massive Resistance: The White Response to the Civil Rights Movement (London: Hodder, 2006) ISBN: 978-0-340-90022-2, pp. i-viii, 1-254
- The White South and the Red Menace: Segregationists, Anticommunism, and Massive Resistance, 1945-1965 (Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2004)
Articles and Journals
- Editor, Special Issue on The Un-American, and “An Un-American Introduction,” Journal of American Studies, Vol. 47, No. 04: pp. 871-879
- “‘An Amorphous Code’: The Ku Klux Klan and Un-Americanism, 1915–1965,” Journal of American Studies, Vol. 47, No. 04: pp. 971-992
- "‘Complicated Hospitality’: The Impact of the Sit-Ins on the Ideology of Southern Segregationists," in Morgan and Davies [eds.] From Sit-Ins to SNCC: Student Civil Rights Protest in the 1960s (University Press of Florida, forthcoming)
- "Barack Hussein Obama: the Use of History in the Creation of an ‘American’ President," Patterns of Prejudice, Vol. 45, Nos. 1-2 (2011): 43-61.
- “‘A Gigantic Battle to Win Men’s Minds’: The NAACP’s Public Relations Department and post-Brown Propaganda,” in Verney & Sartain [eds.] One Hundred Years of the NAACP (University of Arkansas Press, 2009)
- "Virginia's Northern Strategy: Southern Segregationists and the Route to National Conservatism," Journal of Southern History, Vol. 72, No. 1 (February 2006): pp. 111-146
- '"White South, Red Nation": Massive Resistance in the Cold War' in C. Webb (ed.), Massive Resistance: Southern Opposition to the Second Reconstruction (New York: OUP, 2005), pp. 117-135
- "Scientific Certainty": Wesley Critz George, Racial Science and Orgainsed White Resistance in North Carolina, 1954-1962' Journal of American Studies, Vol. 8, 2 (2004), pp. 227-247
- "Any Old Joe Named Zilch?" The 1958 Senatorial Campaign of Dr Louise Oftedal Wensel' Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol 107, 3 (Summer 1999), pp. 287-316
- Not So Well Red: Native Americans in the Southern Civil Rights Movement Reconsidered' Borderlines: Studies in American Culture, Vol 3, 4 (Winter 1996-1997), pp. 362-375.