Understanding & Creating Statements of Significance
|12 & 13 September 2016|
|University of Leicester|
A two day CPD course focused on understanding the value of significance for assessing heritage assets.
Featuring speakers from Historic England and independent consultants the two day course will offer guidance to people new to assessment, as well as guidance for those with more experience.
The course will include:
- Site visit and mapping exercise at a nearby listed monument.
- Preparation of statement of significance based on site visit to Jewry Wall.
- Discussions on significance and its place within law and policy.
- Discussions of the pitfalls and perils of statements of significance.
- Challenges of balancing significance with constructive conservation.
By the end of this course delegates will be better able to:
1. Understand the concepts of heritage values and heritage significance as set out in EH Conservation Principles (2007);
2. Assess how setting contributes to the significance of a heritage asset;
3. Appreciate the notion of 'substantial' and 'less than substantial' harm to significance with reference to specific cases;
4. Evaluate a statement of the significance of a particular heritage asset or group of assets.
The course timetable covers all of the events for the two days.
Course Delivery Team
The course will be delivered by Dr Andy Brown, Planning and Conservation Director for Historic England in the South-East, and Michael Taylor, town planner and former Senior Buildings Conservation Officer at Leicester City Council.
The course will be held in the Charles Wilson Building on the University of Leicester's main campus. Directions to the campus can be found here.
We are delighted to be able to offer the first 8 places on the course at our Early Bird Discount price of £275 including an evening meal with the group and bed & breakfast accommodation at our College Court Conference Centre on the night of the 12 September. Once the first 8 places have been sold the price will revert to the standard price of £375.
If you do not require dinner or accommodation please contact Pete Alfano at email@example.com to discuss an adjusted price.
- To book a place on the course using a credit or debit card please click here.
- To book a place on the course and pay us via and invoice please visit our How to Pay page or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For further information please call Pete on 0116 223 1987 or email us at email@example.com.