Professor of Perinatal and Paediatric Epidemiology
Department of Health Sciences
22-28 Princess Road West
University of Leicester
Leicester LE1 6TP
Tel: 00 44 116 2523200
- Epidemiology of neonatal and paediatric intensive care
- Epidemiology of congenital anomalies
- Aetiology of congenital anomalies and prematurity
- Long term follow-up studies of premature births, congenital anomalies and after period of critical care
- International standardisation of perinatal data collection
- East Midlands and South Yorkshire Congenital Anomalies Register (Local PCTs)
- National Paediatric Intensive Care Database (HQIP, NHS Lothian, Health Commission Wales, Royal Hospital Belfast, Our Lady's Hospital Dublin, Children's University Hospital Dublin)
- The Neonatal Survey and Follow-up (Neonatal Networks)
- Towards reducing infant mortality: a population approach (NIHR)
- EPICure: population based studies of survival and later health status of infants of 25 weeks gestation or less (MRC)
- Aetiology of gastroschisis: a prospective case-control study to investigate the effects of lifestyle, dietary and environmental exposures (Newlife)
The feasibility of investigating the outcomes at age 2 years for children born with congenital diaphragmatic hernia. FOCAL: a BINOCAR collaboration. (Newlife)
Effects of prenatal alcohol consumption and alcohol metabolising genes on child growth and neurodevelopment in the ALSPAC study (Wellcome Trust)
Prenatal diagnosis of lissencephaly by in utero magnetic resonance imaging (Newlife)
Effective Perinatal Intensive Care in Europe - translating knowledge into evidence-based practice (EPICE)
- Neonatal Critical Care HRG Expert Working Group for the NHSIA 2005 to date
- Chief Medical Officers Working Group on Congenital Anomalies 2005 – 2006
- Fetal Anomaly Audit Group for National Screening Committee 2005 – 2008
- Data group for Neonatal Taskforce for DH 2008 to date
- Chair of BINOCAR (British Isles Network of Congenital Anomaly Registers) 2003 to date
- Chair of BAPM Data Working Group 2009
- Member of Data Monitoring Committee for AMIPROM Trial 2009
- Member of Trial Management Group for CATCH Trial 2009
- LNR representative on National Clinical Genetics Specialty Group NIHR CRN 2009
- Fever Project Board member RCPCH 2008 to date
- Chair of Leicester City & County Maternity Services Liaison Committee 2004 to 2010
- Gesese Kassahun, Part-time PhD Student
Title of Thesis: Women’s reproductive health, household food security and coping strategy in North Gondar, Ethiopia
Funder: Leicester/Gondar Link
- Gurjit Chohan, Part-time MD Student
Title of Thesis: A Correlative study of the clinical, pathological and biochemical features of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease
- Graduate Studies Committee for College of Medicine & Biological Sciences
Higher Degrees Committee for College of Medicine & Biological Sciences
Lead Postgraduate Tutor
Director Learning & Teaching Committee
Boyd PA, Tonks AM, Rankin J, Rounding C, Wellesley D, Draper ES. Monitoring the prenatal detection of structural fetal congenital anomalies in England and Wales: register-based study. J Med Screen March 2011 18:2—7; doi:10.1258/jms.2011.010139
Gortner, L. Misselwitz, B. Milligan, D. Zeitlin, J. Kollee, L. Boerch, K. Agostino, R. Van Reempts, P. Chabernaud, J. Breart, G. Papiernik, E. Jarreau, P. Carrapato, M. Gadzinowski, J. Draper, E. members of the MOSAIC Research Group. Rates of bronchopulmonary dysplasia in very preterm neonates in Europe: results from the MOSAIC cohort. Neonatology. 99(2):112-7, 2011.
Howe DT, Rankin J, Draper ES. Schizencephaly prevalence, prenatal diagnosis and clues to aetiology; a register based study. Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology 2011 Jun 6. doi: 10.1002/uog.9069. [Epub ahead of print]
Draper ES. Evaluating and comparing neonatal outcomes. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed; 95(3); F158-9, 2010 May.
Manktelow B, Draper ES, Field DJ. Predicting neonatal mortality among very preterm infants: comparison of three versions of the CRIB score. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed; 95(1): F9-F13, 2010 Jan.
Kollee LA, Cutinni M, Delmas D, Papiernik E, den Ouden AL, Agostina R, Boerch K, Breart G, Chabernaud JL, Draper ES et al. Obstetric interventions for babies born before 28 weeks of gestation in Europe: results of the MOSAIC study. BJOG; 116(11): 1481-91, 2009 Oct.
Mangham L, Petrou S, Doyle LW, Draper ES, Marlow N. The cost of preterm birth throughout childhood in England and Wales. Paediatrics 2009;123(2):e312-27.
Field DJ, Draper ES, Fenton A, Papiernik E, Zeitlin J, Blondel B, Cuttini M, Maier R, Weber T, Carrapato M, Kollee LA, Gadzinowski J, Van Reempts P. Rates of very preterm birth in Europe and neonatal mortality rates. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed, 2009;94(4):F253-6.
Parslow RC, Tasker RC, Draper ES, Parry GJ, Chater T, Jones S, Thiru K, McKinney PA. Epidemiology of critically ill children in England and Wales: incidence, mortality, deprivation and ethnicity. Arch Dis Child 2009;94(3):210-5.
Srivistava N, Tucker JS, Draper ES, Milner M: UK PICU Staffing Study. A literature review of principles, policies and practice in extended nursing roles relating to UK intensive care settings. J Clin Nurs. 2008; 17(20):2671-80.
Draper ES, Zeitlin J, Fenton AC, Weber T, Gerrits J, Martens G, Misselwitz B, Breart G. Investigation the variations in survival rates for very preterm infants in ten European regions: the MOSAIC birth cohort. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2009;94(3):F158-63.
Milligan DW, Carruthers P, Mackley B, Ward Platt MP, Collingwood Y, Wooler L, Gibbons J, Draper E, Manktelow BN. Nursing workload in UK tertiary neonatal units. Arch Dis Child 2008:93;1059-1064.
Field DJ, Dorling JS, Manktelow B, Draper ES. Survival of extremely preterm babies in a geographically defined population: prospective cohort study of 1994-9 compared to 2000-5. BMJ, 2008; 336(7655): 1221-3.
Kamoji VM, Dorling JS, Manktelow B, Draper ES, Field DJ. Antenatal umbilical doppler abnormalities: an independent risk factor for early onset neonatal necrotising enterocolitis in premature infants. Acta Paediatrica, 2008: 97: 327-331.
Draper ES, Rankin J, Tonks A, Abrams K, Field DJ, Clarke M, Kurinczuk JJ. Recreational drug use: a major risk factor for gastroschisis? American Journal of Epidemiology, 2008; 167: 485-491.
Papiernik E, Zeitlin J, Delmas D, Draper ES, Gadzinowski J, Künzel W, Cuttini M, Dillalo D, Weber T, Kollée L, Bekaert A, Bréart G and the MOSAIC Research group. Termination of pregnancy among very preterm births and its impact on very preterm mortality: results from 10 European population-based cohorts in the MOSAIC study. BJOG 2008; February pp 361-368.
Zeitlin J , Draper ES, Kollée L, Milligan D, Boerch K, Agostino R, Gortner L, Van Reempts P, Chabernaud JL, Gadzinowski J, Bréart G, Papiernik E and the MOSAIC research group. Differences in rates and short term outcome of live births before 32 weeks of gestation in Europe in 2003: results from the MOSAIC cohort. Pediatrics, 2008; 121(4): e936-44.
Field DJ, Bajuk B, Manktelow BN, Vincent T, Dorling J, Tarnow-Mordi W, Draper ES, Henderson Smart D . Geographically based comparisons of the influence of very preterm births on routine mortality statistics from the United Kingdom and Australia. Arch Dis Child Fetal & Neonatal Ed. 2008;93:F212-F216.
Draper ES, Zeitlin J, Field DJ, Manktelow BN, Truffert P. Mortality patterns of very preterm babies: a comparative analysis of two European regions in France and England. Arch Dis Child Fetal & Neonatal Ed 2007;92:356-360.
Smith LK, Draper ES, Manktelow BN, Field DJ. Deprivation and infection among spontaneous very preterm babies. Obstetrics & Gynecology 2007;110:325-329.
Loane M, Dolk H, Bradbury I, and EUROCAT working group. Increasing prevalence of gastroschisis in Europe 1980-2002: a phenomenon restricted to younger mothers? Paediatric & Perinatal Epidemiology, 2007;21:363-369.
Smith LK, Draper ES, Manktelow BN, Dorling J, Field DJ. Socio-economic inequalities in very pre-term birth rates: a population based study. Arch Dis Child. Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2007;92:11-14.