Department of Health Sciences
University of Leicester
22-28 Princess Road West
Leicester, LE1 6TP
Tel: 00 44 116 252 5422
My research interests include:
- The harmonisation, regulation and ethics of tissue banks used for research
- The protection of medical and genetic data used in research
During 2013 I am working on an MRC & Wellcome funded project on Reconsent to Research: Views of Participants.
I am currently working on an MRC funded studentship from 2010 to 2013 conducting an ethnographic study of organisational, social and professional facilitators and barriers to harmonising cancer tissue banks for research.
From 2007 to 2009 I worked as a research coordinator on the EC-funded PRIVILEGED project: ‘Determining the Ethical and Legal Interests in Privacy and Data Protection for Research Involving the Use of Genetic Databases and Bio-banks’. http://www.privilegedproject.eu.
From 2006 to 2008 I worked as a research assistant for the medico-legal and ethical workpackage of the EC-funded @neurIST project, an international medical research project involving genetic analysis and sample storage. http://www.aneurist.org
From 2002 to 2005 I co-ordinated research work on the EC-funded PRIVIREAL project: examining the implementation of the Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC in relation to medical research and the role of ethics committees. http://www.privireal.org/
External Ethical Advisor on the EU Innovative Medicines Initiative project OrBiTo (Oral Biopharmaceutics Tools) (2012-)
Member of the Policy and Consent workpackages for the UK Technology Strategy Board project STRATUM (Strategic Tissue Repository Alliance Through Unified Methodology) (2012-). http://stratumbiobanking.org/
Member of the BSA Medical Sociology Early Career Researcher Committee 2011-2012
Chairperson of the Postgraduate Forum on Genetics and Society from 2007 to 2008. http://www.pfgs.org
- (2012 submitted) Philippe Bijlenga, Christian Ebeling, Max Jaegersberg, Alister Rogers, Alan Waterworth, Paul Summers, Jimison Iavindrasana, Julia Yarnold, Vitor Mendes-Perreira, Christoph Friedrich, Ana Narata, Alison Clarke, Ferenc Kover, Bawarjan Schatlo, Istvan Hudak, Patrick Teta, Juan Macho, Peter Bukovics, Jordi Blasco, Ana Marcos Gonzalez, Karl-Olof Lovblad, Stuart Coley, Tamas Doczi, Elio Vivas, Roelof Risselada, Teresa Sola, Patricia Lawford, Umang Patel, Pankaj Singh, Jeremy Wickins, Bernice Elger, Deryck Beyleveld, Steven Wood, Jessica Wright, Miriam Sturkenboom, Rodolphe Meyer, Rod Hose, Alex Frangi, Martin Hofmann-Apitus, James Byrne, Daniel Rüfenacht, Karl Schaller "Risk of rupture of small anterior communicating artery aneurysms is similar to posterior circulation aneurysms" Stroke
- (2012) Catriona Rooke, Donna Bramwell, Greg Hollin, Louise Laverty and Jessica Wright "BSA Medical Sociology Study Group Early Career Researchers' Event, 4 September, 2012" Medical Sociology Online Vol 6(3) http://www.medicalsociologyonline.org/MSoVol6Iss3/MSoVol6Iss3.Article3/6.3_Article3.html
- (2010) J. Wright, C. Ploem, M. Sliwka and S. Gevers “Regulating Tissue Research: Do We Need Additional Rules to Protect Research Participants?” European Journal of Health Law 17, 455—469
- (2010) Bernice Elger, Jimison Iavindrasana, Luigi Lo Iacano, Henning Müller, Nicolas Roduit, Paul Summers, Jessica Wright "Strategies for Health Data Exchange for Secondary, Cross-Institutional Clinical Research Use" Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine Vol. 99, No. 3, 230–251.
- (2010) PRIVILEGED Project Stage Two Regional Report: Governing The Privacy-Research Interface In The Nordic Region And Taiwan (Online Publication)
- (2009) David Townend, Mark J. Taylor, Jessica Wright and Dita Wickins-Drazilova "Privacy interests in Biobanking: a Preliminary view on a European Perspective" In Principles and Practice in Biobank Governance Jane Kaye and Mark Stranger (Eds.) (Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing Ltd.).
- (2006) Research Ethics Committees, Data Protection and Medical Research in European Countries with D. Beyleveld and D. Townend (Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing Ltd.)
- (2006) (& Stephen Baker, Deryck Beyleveld and Susan Wallace) “Research Ethics Committees and the Law in the UK” in Research Ethics Committees, Data Protection and Medical Research in European Countries.
- (2006) (& Jochen Fingberg, Marit Hansen, Markus Hansen, Henry Krasemann, Luigi Lo Iacono and Thomas Probst) “Integrating Data Custodians in eHealth Grids—A Digest of Security and Privacy Aspects” in C. Hochberger, R. Liskowsky (Eds.) Informatik 2006 - Informatik für Menschen, Lecture Notes in Informatics Vol. 93, 695–701 (Bonn: Köllen Verlag).
- (2005) The Data Protection Directive and Medical Research Across Europe with D. Beyleveld, D.Townend and S. Rouillé-Mirza (Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing Ltd.)
- (2005) (& Ségolène Rouillé-Mirza) “Comparative Study on the Implementation and Effect of Directive 95/46/EC on Data Protection in Europe” in The Data Protection Directive and Medical Research Across Europe.
- (2004) Implementation of the Data Protection Directive in Relation to Medical Research in Europe with D. Beyleveld, D. Townend and S. Rouillé-Mirza (Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing Ltd.)
Conferences, Posters and Invited Papers
(2012) Pathological Society Winter Meeting; London, 5-6th Jan 2012. Poster on "The Human Tissue Act and Tissue Banking for Research"
(2011) Health Ethics and Law Network; University of Southampton, 16th December. Invited speaker "Human Tissue Act (2004) and Tissue Research in England: Does the Act promote the harmonisation of cancer tissue banks?"
(2011) European, Middle Eastern and African Society for Biopreservation and Biobanking Inaugural Congress; Marseille, France, 16-19th November 2011. Poster and oral presentation on "Barriers to Biobank Harmonisation: Evidence from professionals and practice". Poster prize awarded link: http://www.esbb.org/nov2011/abstracts.html. Postgraduate International Travel Grant awarded by the Foundation for the Sociology of Health and Illness.
(2011) BSA Medical Sociology Conference; University of Chester, 14-16th September 2011. Paper on "The Battle of the Standard: Competing standards for cancer tissue banking".
(2010) Health Sciences Departmental Conference, University of Leicester, 7th December 2010. Poster presentation on "Ethnography and Anonymity: A review of guidance for keeping research participants anonymous when conducting an ethnography". Poster prize awarded.