Professor Terry Brugha MD(NUI), FRCPsych
For patient-related matters (NHS appointments etc) PLEASE CALL PROF BRUGHA’S NHS PA ON 0116 295 4553
Department of Health Sciences
Tel: + 44 116 252 3211 (University matters only)
Email: email@example.com (University matters only)
Epidemiological surveys of adult autism spectrum disorders and other mental disorders
Prevention of perinatal depression
- Measurement (psychopathology, stressful life events, social networks, autism in adulthood)
- Social support networks
- Evaluation of services for the severely mentally ill
- Adult Psychiatry Morbidity Survey – 2006/7
- Epidemiology of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in community adults -2007/11
- ASD in adults in communal establishments and with intellectual disability - 2010/12
Screening for ASD in adults in contact with mental health services - 2011/12
- Prevention of antenatal depression: the PAWs pilot RCT - 2010/12
- Adult Psychiatry Morbidity Survey England Phase two (ASD, Psychosis) – 2014/15
- Multidisciplinary Training Program on Neuropsychiatry and Behavioral Disorders in First Nations (NEUFIN) - NIH 1 D43 TW009130-01A1 - 2015-2020
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS
Baxter,A.J., Brugha,T.S., Erskine,H.E., Scheurer,R.W., Vos,T. & Scott,J.G. (2015). The epidemiology and global burden of autism spectrum disorders. Psychological Medicine 45(3):589-600
Brugha,T.S., Matthews,R., Alonso,J., Vilagut,G., Fouweather,T., Bruffaerts,R., de,G.G., de,G.R., Haro,J.M., Kovess,V. & Jagger,C. (2013). Gender differences in mental health expectancies in early- and midlife in six European countries. Br.J.Psychiatry 202(4):294-300.
Brugha,T.S., Matthews,R., Morgan,Z., Hill,T., Alonso,J. & Jones,D.R. (2012a). Methodology and reporting of systematic reviews and meta-analyses of observational studies in psychiatric epidemiology: systematic review. Br.J.Psychiatry 200(6):446-453.
Murray,C.J., et al. (2012). Disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) for 291 diseases and injuries in 21 regions, 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 380(9859):2197-2223.
Rai,D., Kerr,M.P., McManus,S., Jordanova,V., Lewis,G. & Brugha,T.S. (2012). Epilepsy and psychiatric comorbidity: a nationally representative population-based study. Epilepsia 53(6):1095-1103.
Vos,T., et al. (2012). Years lived with disability (YLDs) for 1160 sequelae of 289 diseases and injuries 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 380(9859):2163-2196.
Brugha, T S, McManus S, Smith J, Scott F J, Meltzer H, Purdon S, et al. Validating two survey methods for identifying cases of autism spectrum disorder among adults in the community. Psychol Med 2011 Jul 29;1-10.
Brugha T S, McManus S, Bankart J, Scott F, Purdon S, Smith J, et al. Epidemiology of autism spectrum disorders in adults in the community in England. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2011 May;68(5):459-65.
Brugha T S, Morrell CJ, Slade P, Walters SJ. Universal prevention of depression in women postnatally: cluster randomized trial evidence in primary care. Psychol Med 2011 Apr;41(4):739-48.
Morrell CJ, Warner R, Slade P, Dixon S, Walters S, Paley G, Brugha, T. Psychological interventions for postnatal depression: cluster randomised trial and economic evaluation. The PoNDER trial. Health Technol Assess 2009 Jun;13(30):iii-xiii, 1.
Morrell,C.J., Slade,P., Warner,R., Paley,G., Dixon,S., Walters,S.J., Brugha,T., Barkham,M., Parry,G.J. & Nicholl,J. (2009). Clinical effectiveness of health visitor training in psychologically informed approaches for depression in postnatal women: pragmatic cluster randomised trial in primary care. BMJ 338:a3045.
Seedat,S., Scott,K.M., Angermeyer,M.C., Berglund,P., Bromet,E.J., Brugha,T.S., Demyttenaere,K., de,G.G., Haro,J.M., Jin,R., Karam,E.G., Kovess-Masfety,V., Levinson,D., Medina Mora,M.E., Ono,Y., Ormel,J., Pennell,B.E., Posada-Villa,J., Sampson,N.A., Williams,D. & Kessler,R.C. (2009). Cross-national associations between gender and mental disorders in the World Health Organization World Mental Health Surveys. Arch.Gen.Psychiatry 66(7):785-795.
Andrews G, Brugha T, Thase ME, Duffy FF, Rucci P, Slade T. Dimensionality and the category of major depressive episode. Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 2007;16 Suppl 1 2007:S41-51. Review.
Torres, A. R., Prince, M. J., Bebbington, P. E., et al (2006) Obsessive-compulsive disorder: prevalence, comorbidity, impact, and help-seeking in the British national psychiatric morbidity survey of 2000. Am.J.Psychiatry, 163, 1978-1985.
Coid J, et al. Violence and psychiatric morbidity in a national household population--a report from the British Household Survey. American Journal of Epidemiology 2006 Dec 15;164(12):1199-208
Brugha, T. S., Jenkins, R., Bebbington, P. E., Lewis, G., Fryers, T., Farrell, M., Coid, J, Melzer, D., Singleton, N., and Meltzer, H. Psychosis in the community and in prison: a report from the National Survey of Psychiatric Morbidity, American Journal of Psychiatry, 2005 Apr;162(4):774-780.
Taub NA, Morgan Z, Brugha TS, et al. (2005). Recalibration methods to enhance information on prevalence rates from large mental health surveys. International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research 14 (1) 3-13.
Brugha TS, Weich S, Singleton N, et al. (2005). Primary group size, social support, gender and future mental health status in a prospective study of people living in private households throughout Great Britain. Psychological Medicine 35: 705-714.
Brugha TS, Bebbington PE, Singleton N, et al (2004). Trends in service use and treatment for mental disorders in adults throughout Great Britain. British Journal of Psychiatry, 185, 378-84.
Demyttenaere,K., et al. (2004). Prevalence, severity, and unmet need for treatment of mental disorders in the World Health Organization World Mental Health Surveys. Journal of the American Medical Association 291, 2581-2590.
Click here for full list of publications on PubMed
Graduated in Medicine from University College Dublin, 1976. Postgraduate training: Institute of Psychiatry London at the Medical Research Council Social Psychiatry Unit to 1987. I have worked as an Adult General Psychiatrist since 1977 and I am now working as a clinical specialist in autism in adult general psychiatry.
Other positions held:
- Associate Editor, Psychological Medicine (Cambridge University Press; 1993-)
- Chair, WHO Advisory Committee, Schedules for Clinical Assessment in Neuropsychiatry (SCAN; 1998-)
- Secretary General, International Federation of Psychiatric Epidemiology
- Senior Medical Officer, Department of Health, London (1995-97)
- SHO, Registrar, Senior Registrar, Bethlem Royal and Maudsley Hospital,
- Member of the Scientific Staff, MRC Social Psychiatry Research Unit,
and Lecturer, Institute of Psychiatry, London (1982-1987)
- 2010 - Board Member, National Autism Strategy Implementation, Department of Health, London.
- 2010 - Chair, Clinical Network Autism Partnership East Midlands, England
- 2006 - Member, Dimensional Approaches in Diagnostic Classification Workgroup for DSM-5. American Psychiatric Association, Washington DC
- 1998 - Chairman, World Health Organisation Advisory Committee for Schedules for Clinical Assessment in Neuropsychiatry. Leading on use of SCAN in testing of proposed new diagnostic criteria for APA DSM-5 (as above) and preparation of SCAN version 3.0 to be compatable with DSM-5 (2012) and with ICD-11 (2014).
- Advisor to most relevant grant funding bodies (MRC, Welcome, NIHR etc.)
- Adviser to Department of Health on psychiatric epidemiology (since 1994), policy on autism in adults (since 2006).
- Adviser to Number 10 Policy Unit on quality of data collected on mental illness in government psychiatric surveys
- 2002 - 2007 Elected, Secretary General, International Federation for Psychiatric Epidemiology.
- Advisor to Royal College of Psychiatrists on clinical training on ASD and Asperger Syndrome.
- 1993 - Associate Editor, Psychological Medicine
- 2003 - 2010 Deputy Head & Director of Research of Department of Health Sciences
Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist and Director Adult Autism Spectrum Disorder Assessment and Liaison Service, Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust
- Unit Head, Academic Unit for Social and Epidemiological Psychiatry, Department of Health Sciences
BGS, Brighton, UK, 2011. Epidemiology of Autism spectrum Disorder in Adults
- IFPE, Khaoshiung, Taiwan, 2011. Epidemiology of Autism Spectrum Disorder in Adults
- IFPE, Vienna, 2009. 500 Delegates. Mental Health and Mental Disorder and Public Health Action
- Vesna Jordanova part time PhD student
Title of thesis: Asperger syndrome in the UK national survey population: prevalence, comorbidity, and disability across the lifespan
- Abdolreza Ashtarikiani part time PhD student
Title of thesis: Prevalence of mental illness in people with learning disability who have visual and/or hearing impairment