Andrew Wilson, MD, FRCGP
Department of Health Sciences
22-28 Princess Road West
University of Leicester
Leicester LE1 6TP
Tel: 00 44 116 252 5417
Health services research in primary care and at its interface with public health and secondary care. Specific topics include intermediate care and alternatives to hospital admission and management and prevention of stroke in primary care.
Establishing System Change for Admissions of People 85+ (ESCAPE 85+)
Evaluation of Intensive Community Support
Principal in general practice, Saffron Group Practice, Leicester (2 sessions a week)
External examiner, MBChB, University of Manchester
Associate editor, BMC Family Practice
Advisor (smoking cessation), NICE led QoF development group
Member, NIHR-RDS East Midlands Management Board
POSTGRADUATE SUPERVISION AND TEACHING
Ainsley Hardy, part time (2008- 11), Title: Developing a patient-centred intermediate care service for diabetes
Kate Lager, full time (2010-13), Title: Secondary prevention of stroke/TIA in primary care
Nichola Walker, part time (2013- present), Title: Explanations for the variation in chronic disease management in primary care: A mixed methods study
Caroline Morris, full time (2014- present), Title: Pay for performance: Valuing or debasing quality and safety in primary care?
Studentship out to advert, full time (2014-17), Title: Transient neurological attacks in Primary care: Epidemiology and prognosis
Course leader, MRes in Applied Health Research
Module co-ordinator of Fundamentals module
- Course leader, stem component of iBSc scheme C
- Wilson A, Agarwal S, Bonas S, Murtagh G, Coleman T, Taub N, Chernova J. Management of smokers motivated to quit: a qualitative study of smokers and GPs. Fam Pract. 2010;27(4):404-9.
- Kringos DS, Boerma WGW, Bourgueil Y, Cartier T, Hasvold T, Hutchinson A, Lember M, Oleszczyk M, Rotar DR, Svab I, Tedeschi P, Wilson A, Windak A, Dedeu T, Wilm S. The European Primary Care Monitor: structure, process and outcome indicators. BMC Family Practice 2010, 11:81doi:10.1186/1471-2296-11-81
- Wilson, A. Smoking cessation strategies in Crohn’s disease. Frontline Gastroenterology 2011;2:10-12
- M J G Bankart, R Baker, A Rashid, M Habiba, J Banerjee, R Hsu, S Conroy, S Agarwal, A Wilson. Characteristics of general practices associated with emergency admission rates to hospital: a cross-sectional study. Emerg Med J 2011;28:558-563. doi:10.1136/emj.2010.108548
- Baker R, Bankart MJ, Rashid A, Banerjee J, Conroy S, Habiba M, Hsu R, Wilson A, Agarwal S, Camosso-Stefinovic J. Characteristics of general practices associated with emergency department attendance rates: a cross-sectional study. BMJ Qual Saf 2011;20(11):953-8.
- Reid A, Wilson A, Robinson T, Naylor AR Putting TIA/stroke in the FAST lane: but not if you present with leg weakness or visual loss (abstract) British Journal of Surgery 2012, 99: 5-5.
- Lager KE, Wilson A, Khunti K, Mistri AK,. Quality of secondary prevention measures in TIA patients: a retrospective cohort study. Postgraduate Medical Journal 2012, 88(1040):305-311
- Armstrong N, Baines D, Baker R, Crossman R, Davies M, Hardy A, Khunti K, Kumar S, O’Hare P, Raymond N, Ponnusamy Saravanan P, Nigel Stallard N, Szczepura A, Wilson. A cluster randomised controlled trial of the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of Intermediate Care Clinics for Diabetes (ICCD): Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 2012, 13:164 doi:10.1186/1745-6215-13-164
- Caplan GA, Sulaiman NS, Mangin DA, Ricauda NA, Wilson AD, Barclay L. A meta-analysis of “hospital in the home”. Med J Aust. 2012;197(9):512-9. doi: 10.5694/mja12.10480.
- Robinson TG, Reid A, Haunton VJ, Wilson A, Naylor, AR. The face arm speech test: does it encourage rapid recognition of important stroke warning symptoms? Emerg Med J 2013;30:467–471. doi:10.1136/emermed-2012-201471
- Szczepura A, Saravanan P, Baines D, Petrou S, Crossman R, Hardy A, Raymond N, Wilson A, O'Hare JP. Cost-effectiveness of intermediate care clinics for diabetes (ICCD): findings of a UK cluster randomised trial. DIABETOLOGIA 55:S417-S417 01 Oct 2012
- Dionne Sofia Kringos, Wienke Boerma, Yann Bourgueil, Thomas Cartier, Toni Dedeu, Toralf Hasvold, Allen Hutchinson, Margus Lember, Marek Oleszczyk, Danica Rotar Pavlic, Igor Svab, Paolo Tedeschi, Stefan Wilm, Andrew Wilson, Adam Windak, Jouke van der Zee, Peter Groenewegen. The strength of primary care in Europe: an international comparative study. BJGP 2013;63:582-583
- Adams A, Reeve J, Roberts J, Wilson A. Career pathways in academic primary care; sustainability of careers; factors influencing career sustainability. Primary Health Care Research & Development 2013.doi:10.1017/S1463423613000418 (published on line Nov)
- Wilson A, Coleby D, Taub N, Weston C. Delay between symptom onset and clinic attendance following TIA and minor stroke: the BEATS study. Age and Ageing 2013; 0: 1–4doi: 10.1093/ageing/aft144
- Lager KE, Mistri AK, Khunti K, Haunton VJ, Sett AK, Wilson AD. Interventions for improving modifiable risk factor control in the secondary prevention of stroke. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014, Issue 4. Art. No.: CD009103. DOI:10.1002/14651858.CD009103.pub2.
- Wilson A, Windak A, Oleszczyk M, Wilm S, Hasvold T,Kringos DS. The delivery of primary care services. In: Boerma W, Kringos DS, eds. The State of Primary Care in Europe. European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies (in press)
- Wilson A, O’Hare P, Hardy A, Raymond N,Szczepura A, Crossman R, Baines D, Khunti K, Kumar S, Saravanan P. Evaluation of the clinical and cost effectiveness of intermediate care clinics for diabetes (ICCD): a multicentre cluster randomised controlled trial. PLoS One 9(4):e93964 2014