Mining & Quarrying On-line Short Courses
The Department of Geology has developed a number of on-line short-courses for the Chilean industry with funding from the UK Government's Chile Prosperity Fund. These are designed to contribute to a person's Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and are endorsed by the Geological Society of London and approved as Professional Development by the IOM3. They are free for any who are currently living and working in Chile. There are five courses available, which will run during October and November 2016:
- Tailings Facility Management (Course Finished).
- Blasting (Course Finished)
- Effective Surface Mine Design (Course Started)
- Slope and Face Stability - What the managers need to know (Course runs from 14th to 20th November)
- Introduction to Surface Mining Methods (Course runs from 21st November to 12th December)
It is expected that in January, these courses will be generally available to the wider mining and quarrying industries outside of Chile for a small charge. Further details will be available soon.
Mining & Quarrying Seminars in Chile
In addition to the on-line CPD short courses above, the University organised a series of face-to-face seminars in Santiago and Antofagasta in September, with help from UKTI in Chile. Full details of the seminars are available as PDFs in both English and Spanish below.
Please note that all the seminars are now completed.
- Effective Quarry Design and Operations
- Optimising Blasts & Minimising Impacts
- Effective Surface Mine Design & Operations
- Tailings Management
Postgraduate Certificate in Quarry Management and Operations
This one-year course is a part-time, blended-learning training programme run in collaboration with LafargeHolcim, now the world's largest construction materials company. It is therefore only available to employees of that company, but the programme can be duplicated in collaboration with other companies. For more information, watch the 3 minute video below.