Professor Melanie Leng
Honorary Research Professor
Research Group: Crustal Processes
Research focus includes:
- Current and past freshwater contributions into the Antarctic Ocean and effects on ocean circulation (the first results from this research were recently published by Nature Geoscience and EPSL).
- Climate influences on Northern Europe and effects on migration and endemism.
- Climate-driven human evolution, innovation, and dispersal through Africa.
- Major climatic boundary thresholds through geological time.
- Understanding biogeochemical cycling using isotope techniques.
- Development of stable isotope techniques in relation to current environmental issues.
- Developing research within the International Continental scientific Drilling Program (since UK became a member in April 2012): Lake Ohrid (UK-PI), Lake Challa (Co-I), Hominin evolution (Co-I), Mochras and Tanzania (Co-I). The broad themes that these projects address are climate influences on the Earth and its inhabitants through geological time.
- Pike, J., Swann, G.A.E., Leng, M.J., Snelling, A. 2013. Glacial discharge along the west Antarctic Penninsula during the Holocene. Nature Geoscience, 6, 199-202.
- Chapligin, B., Leng, M.J., Webb, E., Alexandre, A., Dodd, J.P., Ijiri, A., Lücke, A., Shemesh, A., Abelmann, A., Herzschuh, U., Longstaffe, F.J., Meyer, H., Moschen, R., Okazaki, Y., Rees, N., Sharp, Z.D., Sloane, H.J., Sonzogni, C., Swann, G.E.A., Sylvestre, F., Tyler, J.T., Yam, R. Inter-laboratory comparison of oxygen isotopes from biogenic silica. 2011. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 75, 7242-7256.
- Leng, M.J., Jones, M.D., Frogley, M.F., Eastwood, W.J., Kendrick, C.P., Roberts, C.N. 2010. Detrital carbonate influences on bulk oxygen and carbon isotope composition of lacustrine sediments from the Mediterranean. Global and Planetary Change, 71, 175-182.
- Leng, M.J. and Sloane, H.J. 2008. Combined oxygen and silicon isotope analysis of biogenic silica. Journal of Quaternary Science, 23, 313-319.
- Reynolds, B.C., Aggarwal, J., Andre, L., Baxter, D., Beucher, C., Brzezinski, M.A., Engström, E., Georg, R.B., Land, M., Leng, M.J., Opfergelt, S., Rodushkin, I., Sloane, H.J., van den Boorn, S.H.J.M., Vroon, P.Z., Cardinal, D. 2007. An inter-laboratory calibration of Si isotope reference materials. Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry, 22, 561-568.
- Leng, M.J. and Barker, P.A. 2006. A review of the oxygen isotope composition of lacustrine diatom silica for palaeoclimate reconstruction. Earth Science Reviews, 75, 5-27.
- Leng, M.J. and Marshall, J.D. 2004. Palaeoclimate interpretation of stable isotope data from lake sediments. Quaternary Science Reviews, 23, 811-831.
- Barker, P.A., Street-Perrott, F.A., Leng, M.J., Greenwood, P.B., Swain, D.L., Perrott, R.A., Telford, J., Ficken, K.J. 2001. A 14 ka oxygen isotope record from diatom silica in two alpine tarns on Mt Kenya. Science, 292, 2307-2310.
- Stable isotope geochemistry
- Funding and Awards - Recent and Current Externally Funded Research
- Other Activities - Career Highlights and Current Professional Appointments