Dr Tom Harvey
Lecturer in Geoscience
T: 0116 252 3644
Research group: Palaeobiology, Palaeoenvironments and Palaeoclimates
BSc Geology-Biology Joint Hons., University of Bristol, 2003
MSc Palaeobiology, University of Bristol, 2004
PhD, University of Cambridge, 2009: "Organic-walled microfossils from the early Cambrian of Canada"
Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice in Higher Education, University of Leicester, 2016
I am interested in the evolution of life across the Proterozoic–Phanerozoic transition. My work reveals the fine-scale anatomy preserved in exceptional fossils, and explores the implications for animal phylogeny, macroevolution, and macroecology. I am particularly interested in the origins and early evolution of crustaceans, sponges and ecdysozoan worms, and in using small carbonaceous fossils (SCFs) to obtain a higher-resolution picture of broader-scale patterns and processes.
Six Key Publications
Harvey, T. H. P. & Butterfield, N. J. 2017 Exceptionally preserved Cambrian loriciferans and the early animal invasion of the meiobenthos. Nature Ecology & Evolution 1, 0022. doi: 10.1038/s41559-016-0022
- Slater, B. J., Harvey, T. H. P., Guilbaud, R. & Butterfield, N. J. 2017 A cryptic record of Burgess Shale-type diversity from the early Cambrian of Baltica. Palaeontology 60, 117–140. doi:
- Caron, J.-B., Smith, M. R., & Harvey, T. H. P. 2013 Beyond the Burgess Shale: Cambrian microfossils track the rise and fall of hallucigeniid lobopodians. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 280: 20131613. doi:10.1098/rspb.2013.1613
Harvey, T. H. P., Vélez, M. I., & Butterfield, N. J. 2012 Exceptionally preserved crustaceans from western Canada reveal a cryptic Cambrian radiation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 109, 1589-1594.
Harvey, T. H. P., Dong, X. & Donoghue, P. C. J. 2010 Are palaeoscolecids ancestral ecdysozoans? Evolution & Development 12, 177-200.
Harvey, T. H. P. & Butterfield, N. J. 2008 Sophisticated particle-feeding in a large Early Cambrian crustacean. Nature 452, 868-871.
- GL1021 Introductory Field Course (Arran)
- GL2017 Geological Field Methods (Spain)
- GL3002 Earth Science in Education
- GL4067 Evolutionary Palaeobiology
- GL4017 Hot Topics