Contemporary Environmental Challenges
Year Three, Semester One
Course Code: GY3154
This is a module led by human geography staff, and the approaches discussed within the module reflect this background.
At the end of the module you will be able to demonstrate knowledge and critical understanding of some of the major environmental challenges currently facing the World. Through a variety of case studies, this will include the ability to understand:
- The interrelationship between energy security, economic globalisation and climate change.
- The ways in which energy security and climate change impact on the economic development prospects of particular regions.
- Contested approaches to land, identity and environment.
- The role of diverse or indigenous knowledges in addressing environmental challenges.
- The global governance challenges posed by the transition to a more sustainable society.
Assessment is by one two hour examination and one 2500 essay.