How to Apply for a PhD position in the Department of Genetics:
Please read the following instructions and follow the procedure below:
1. Choose your Phd Project area
You will need to select a PhD Project Area from the selection on offer in the department. To do this, have a look at those available on our website by selecting PhD Projects and Find a PhD.com
2. We would encourage you to express an interest in up to four PhD projects.
Please E Mail the Postgraduate Admissions Tutor : Dr Ezio Rosato to discuss your options.
3. Apply Online to the University via Admissions. Follow the Online procedure and Application Details.
4. To help evaluate your application, please supply in your next E Mail:
- A copy of your CV
A list of the University courses you attended
Your marks (including the final mark) obtained
5. Before making a final offer, we will need you to send us an:
- Official copy of your transcripts. If these are not in English we need both a version in the original language and an official translation.
- Also, we need at least two CONFIDENTIAL references. They can be sent by e mail or by post by your referees.
Important Information concerning conditions of offer for PhD positions:
Academic qualifications You need to have sufficient Academic qualifications. These correspond to a University degree in an appropriate subject with marks equivalent to a 1st or 2.1 (upper second) class BSc. A lower mark can be redeemed with an additional Master degree in an appropriate subject.
Tuition Fees You need to have sufficient funds to cover the tuition fees and living expenses. There are two levels of fees depending on the type of Laboratory/project work you will be doing and your Supervisor.
Tuition + Bench Fees will be £17,050 or £21,250 for your entire PhD + £100 University fee for writing your thesis in the final year. For more information on tuition fees, please read the Universities page on:
Student Fees 2010/11
Organising payment of your tuition fees
Living Expenses This is about £10,000 per year.
English-language qualification you need to have an English-language qualification (IELTS 6.5 or above or TOEFL 600/250 or above). If you do not have the right score it is possible to come to Leicester to undertake a language course. For more information, please read the Universities page on:
The English Language Teaching Unit
Please Note: a PhD requires a commitment of effectively four years.
For more information on becoming a Postgraduate at Leicester, please read the Universities page on: