Professor Julie Coleman
BA (Manchester) MA PhD (London); FHEA, FEA
Head of College and Professor of English Language
Tel: +44 (0)116 252 2841
Professor Coleman's research interests lie in the history of the English language, particularly the history of the lexis and the slang and cant dictionary tradition.
Professor Coleman's four monographs on the cant and slang dictionary tradition cover the sixteenth to the twentieth century and her The Life of Slang outlines the history of slang around the English-speaking world. In addition to continued work on slang, Professor Coleman is currently working on the language of Bunyan and the influence of advertising on the English language.
Current Postgraduate Supervision
Professor Coleman would welcome postgraduate students (MA or PhD) with interests in any of the following areas of research:
- English historical linguistics
- History of the English lexis
- History of the English dictionary
- Slang and cant
- Slang and cant literature
- Lexical semantics
- The International Society for Historical Lexicography and Lexicology
- Online Slang Glossaries: on campus, off campus (produced for the 'Slang and the www' module)