Email: bn30 [at] le.ac.uk
Online education/eLearning, distance education, Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs), Open Educational Resources (OER), open education, open scholarship, digital scholarship, heutagogy, transformative research, social media and democracy, social justice, higher education, lifelong learning, policy.
I am a PhD research student at University of Leicester since October 2012. My research focuses on the potential contribution of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs), Open Educational Resources (OER) and different stakeholders to opening up higher education in Rwanda. Prior to joining University of Leicester, I worked for Kigali Health Institute (KHI) as a faculty and member of the institution’s Admission Board for six years. I had also worked as a teacher at primary and secondary levels of education for another six years.
Since 2011, I volunteered at Rwanda Education Board in effort to contribute to opening up higher education in Rwanda. My contribution was a draft of the concept paper for the University of Rwanda’s College/School of Open and Distance Learning (CODL). This work led to the appointment of the Task Force and Working Group on the CODL by Rwanda’s Ministry of Education in 2012. I was a member of both the Task Force and the Working Group.
Besides my professional contribution in Rwanda, I am a member of the Global OER Graduate Network (GO-GN) and served in the Open Education Working Group Advisory Board in 2014. I also reviewed the GIZ eLearning Development and Implementation (eLDI) and tutored two modules of this programme: eLearning Strategy and Management and eLearning Content Development.
- Tutoring and moderating eLearning communities
- Instructional design,
- Forming and leading virtual collaboration teams,
- Coaching with compassion/Coaching for development
- eLearning programme/course development, implementation and evaluation
- Training facilitation
- Teaching English as a foreign language
- MA in Online and Distance Education, the Open University, UK, 2011
- MA in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, Eastern Michigan University, USA, 2011
- Bachelor of Education/Teaching French and English, the National University of Rwanda, 2006
- Commonwealth Scholar Award, University of Leicester (2012-present)
- VLIR-UOS Scholarship, Catholic University of Leuven (Oct-Dec 2012)
(Dropped due to its concurrence with the Commonwealth Scholar Award)
- GIZ’s e-Learning e-Skill Scholarship, GIZ and the University of the Philippines Open University (Ap-Nov 2012)
- Fulbright Scholar Award, Eastern Michigan University (Sept 2009-Ap 2011)
- Rotary University Scholarship Scheme, The Open University (Feb 2008- June 2011)
Institute for Prospective Technological Study: OpenCred Study (May-June, 2014)
- Nkuyubwatsi, B. (2016) A critical look at the policy environment for opening up public higher education in Rwanda, The Journal of Learning for Development, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 47-61. Available from http://www.jl4d.org/index.php/ejl4d/article/view/141
- Nkuyubwatsi, B. (2016) The outcome of constructive alignment between open educational services and learners' needs, employability and capabilities development: Heutagogy and transformative migration among underprivileged learners in Rwanda, Cogent Education, Vol. 3, No. 1 (Online). DOI:10.1080/2331186X.2016.1198522. Available from http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/2331186X.2016.1198522
- Nkuyubwatsi, B. (2016) Positioning extension Massive Open Online Courses (xMOOCs) within the open access and the lifelong learning agendas in a developing setting, The Journal of Learning for Development, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 14-36, available from www.jl4d.org/index.php/ejl4d/article/view/126
- Nkuyubwatsi, B., Ndayishimiye, V., Ntirenganya, B.J., Umwungerimwiza, D.Y. (2015) Towards innovation in digital and open scholarship for non-rivalrous lifelong learning and supporting open learning: The case of the Open Scholars Network, eLearning Papers, Issue 44, pp. 53-59, available from http://openeducationeuropa.eu/en/paper/teacher-s-role-educational-innovation
- Witthaus, G., Childs, M., Nkuyubwatsi, B., Conole, G., Inamorato dos Santos, A.&Punie, Y (2015) An assessment-recognition matrix for analysing institutional practices in the recognition of open learning, eLearning Papers, Issue 40, pp. 32-42, available from http://www.openeducationeuropa.eu/en/paper/assessment-certification-and-quality-assurance-open-learning
- Nkuyubwatsi, B. (2014a) Cultural translation in Massive Open Online Courses(MOOCs), eLearning Papers, Issue 37, pp. 23-32, available from http://www.openeducationeuropa.eu/en/paper/experiences-and-best-practices-and-around-moocs
- Nkuyubwatsi, B. (2014b) A cross-modal analysis of learning experience from a learner’s perspective, The electronic Journal of eLearning, Vol 12, no 2, pp. 195-205, available from http://www.ejel.org/volume12/issue2
- Nkuyubwatsi, B. (2014c) Mapping five Os for reaping benefits from Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs), Journal Of Global Literacies, Technologies and Emerging Pedagogies, Vol 2, no. 3 pp. 189-206, available from http://joglep.com/index.php/archives/voulme-2-issue/
- Nkuyubwatsi, B. (2014) Fostering collaborative investment in Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs), in Draft papers: ‘Mapping the European MOOC territory’, available from http://www.home.eadtu.eu/news/87-conference-mapping-the-european-mooc-territory-update
- Nkuyubwatsi, B. (2013) Evaluation of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) From the Learner’s Perspective, Proceedings of the 12th European Conference on e-Learning ECEL-2013, 2, 340-346, also available from http://issuu.com/acpil/docs/ecel2013-proceedings-vol2/39
- Nkuyubwatsi, B. (2015) Fostering collaborative investment in Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs), in Jansen, D. & Teixeira, A. (eds), Position Papers for European Cooperation on MOOCs: Overview of Position Papers on the Opportunities and Characteristics for European Cooperation as Presented During the HOME Conference in Porto November 2014, pp. 44-57. Available from http://home.eadtu.eu/images/Position_papers_for_European_cooperation_on_MOOCs.pdf
- Witthaus, G., Inamorato dos Santos, A., Childs, M., Tannhäuser, A., Conole, G., Nkuyubwatsi, B. & Punie, Y. (2016), Validation of non-formal MOOC-based
learning: An analysis of assessment and recognition practices inEurope (OpenCred), JRC Science for Policy Report. Available from http://publications.jrc.ec.europa.eu/repository/bitstream/JRC96968/lfna27660enn.pdf
- Mukama, E., Sapsford, R., Bahati, B., Munyemana, G., Ndayambaje, I., Nkuyubwatsi, B., Lavin, B., Hughes, M., Karamaga, L. & Brannelly, L. (2013) College of Open and Distance Learning in Rwanda: Proposed operational approach and costs, A report to the Ministry of Education, Republic of Rwanda, Kigali, Rwanda.