Mode: Full-time and Part-time
Honours degree class 2.1 or above
Master's Degree from a British University or equivalent
Three years professional experience
Application Deadline: Ongoing
Course Start Date:
October 2012, January 2013 and May 2013
Length of Course: Full-time students 2-4 years
Part-time students 3-6 years
*Fees for 2012-13 entry. Fees subject to increase each year
Our PhD is designed to equip professional educators with a wide range of research skills, knowledge, understanding and expertise in their chosen field of research.
The School provides high quality training in research methods, and organises regular research seminars with external and internal speakers, including post-graduate students.
Our active involvement in research nationally and internationally, enables staff to provide expert supervision in a wide range of areas, and our community of international research students and tutors provides a stimulating intellectual environment, in a multicultural city.
Research students are an integral part of the academic life of the School, which aims to deliver high-quality supervision through a team of experienced and highly-regarded academics who are themselves actively researching and publishing.
We also offer a PhD by Distance Learning. This course is designed to offer an additional mode of study to those who seek a PhD but would find it difficult to study on-campus.
The PhD aims to:
- provide you with the skills and knowledge to complete a Doctoral thesis
- enhance your professional capabilities through critical analysis
- give you the opportunity to access an international learning community through research groups and our new virtual learning environment.
Our research groups cover a variety of areas and we welcome doctoral supervision in the following:
- Leadership Learning and Change
- Innovative Pedagogies and Reform
- Mathematics and Science Education
- Education for Social Justice
- Engagement and Vulnerability in Education
- Professional Learning and Teacher Identity
- Applied Linguistics and Language Testing
Next Step: Find out more about our Research Interests
Next Step: How to Apply