Mode: Campus-based, Full-time and Part-time*
Entry Requirements: A degree, grade 2.2 or above
Fees: £5,010 (UK/EU)
Application Deadline: End of August
Course Start Date: September 2013
Length of Course: 1 year full-time, 2 years part time.
The MA TESOL offers those beginning a teaching career in English Language an opportunity to develop their essential teaching skills and professional knowledge.
The MA is a rigorous qualification which provides you with strong all-round skills development and up-to-date subject knowledge. The course is highly valued by educational employers and will help to raise your profile when seeking to launch or advance your career as a language teaching professional.
We pride ourselves on the level of support we provide to our students. You will be supported by a Personal Tutor who, where possible, will remain with you throughout the programme, and you will also have access to the full range of university support services.
* Please note that part-time students will be required to attend teaching sessions during the week, most of which will be scheduled between 10.00am and 5.00pm. There are no weekend classes.
The aim of MA TESOL is to:
- provide you with the basic practical skills you need to enter a language classroom with confidence
- develop your ability to undertake language teaching at a range of levels and cultural and institutional contexts
- provide an opportunity to develop an understanding of professional issues relating to language teaching and learning
- develop your fluency and accuracy in speaking, listening, reading and writing
The course provides a structured programme aimed at linking theory and practice in language teaching and learning. It consists of three core modules, two Options and the Dissertation/Professional Enquiry.
Term 1 and Term 2
Language Teaching in Action (30 credits)
Description of English (30 credits)
Second Language Teaching and Learning (30 credits)
Option 1 and Option 2 (15 credits each)
Dissertation or Professional Enquiry (60 credits)
You will be assessed in a variety of ways. This may include written assignments, portfolio work, tests and presentations. The Dissertation or Professional Enquiry is 15,000-20,000 words.
Next Step: Find out more about the course modules
Next Step: How to Apply