We offer high quality PGCE training here at the University of Leicester through our two vibrant and successful PGCE programmes:
All applications for these courses must be made through UCAS Teacher Training (formerly GTTR). Recruitment for courses commencing in September 2014 is now open.
We are currently offering, in partnership with Teaching School Alliances in the region, an innovative pathway into teaching known as School Direct. This initiative allows you to apply for the University of Leicester PGCE qualification through a number of our partnership schools. Please view the Primary School Direct and Secondary School Direct pages for further details.
Some elements of the programme will be delivered within the Alliance schools; others as part of our mainstream PGCE programmes. Successful completion of the programme will lead to the award of a University of Leicester PGCE (see the Qualifications section below for further information).
Secondary recruitment events:
Monday 3rd March – School Direct Information evening at Thomas Estley Community College 6:30 – 7:30pm
Open to undergraduates or postgraduates with a degree in Maths, Engineering, Economics or Science with a genuine interest in, and enthusiasm for, your subject and teaching in a secondary school.
- All successful students will gain a PGCE and Qualified Teacher Status qualification.
- All students will be awarded the PGCE at Professional or Masters level. Students who pass at Masters level will be awarded 60 credits which can be put towards a full Masters qualification. To gain a full Masters, students are encouraged to consider completing further modules within the School once they have attained QTS and have gained some classroom experience.
What will I gain?
- excellent support from both university and school tutors
- advanced subject knowledge and classroom expertise
- an environment in which students can support each other in the development of their skills
- the ability to plan and structure lessons effectively to ensure that pupils make progress with their learning
- the opportunity to develop an understanding of your professional role within a department and a whole school team
- a diverse range of school placements
Premier Plus Service
The National College for Teaching and Leadership are offering the Premier Plus Service to those who hold (or are predicted) a first class or 2:1 degree and are interested in teaching secondary maths, physics, chemistry or modern foreign languages (MFL).
Eligible registrants to this service will receive benefits such as:
- Personalised advice on becoming a teacher
- Tailored guidance with the application process.
Check out our videos to find out what it's really like to study here from our students.