Publications for Parents, Children and Teachers
- Rapid Maths (2009)
This is the Third Edition of Number Connections (see below, 2005 and 1998), re-illustrated and renamed to match Pearson’s Rapid Reading. New materials in this edition are five Home Maths books, and Practice Software.
- Teenage Grief (2007)
Co-wrote professional development materials with Sacha Richardson (see below), 41 pages, published by the University of Leicester. Available on web at www.childhoodbereavementnetwork.org.uk . Accompanying DVD from Leeds Animation Workshop.
- Not Too Young to Grieve (2006)
Co-wrote professional development materials with Sacha Richardson from the Laura Centre, 40 pages, published by the University of Leicester.
Available on web at www.childhoodbereavementnetwork.org.uk . Accompanying DVD from Leeds Animation Workshop.
A Spanish version of the DVD was published in 2010, Nunca se es Demasiado Pequeno para Suffrir, for distribution in Mexico and the United States.
- Getting Children Talking (2005) and Getting Children Counting (2007)
For parents, carers and practitioners, 20 minute DVDs, published by Leicester Phototalk.
- Number Connections Second Edition (2005)
The series was revised and republished; each of the five levels had a pupil textbook of 96 pages, Teacher’s Guide of 80 pages, Copymasters, 96 pages, and a pack of games.
- Extra Help in Maths (2004)
For parents, teachers and teaching assistants, 64 pages each, published by Scholastic.
- Extra Help in Maths Level 1 (age 5 to 7), Level 2 (age 7 to 9) and Level 3 (age 9 to 11).
- Ideas for Role Play (2003)
For practitioners working with young children, 74 pages, published by Leicester Phototalk.
- Phototalk (2001 to 2004)
Series of 9 photo books for children aged 0 to 7, 12 pages each, published by Leicester Phototalk:
Stay and Play Beans on Toast Library Books Toddler Gym
Abbey Park New Baby Busy Day Roti Our School
- Rapid Recall (2000)
Series of 8 textbooks for children aged 7 to 11, 32 pages each, and 4 teacher’s books, 32 pages each, published by Rigby.
Year 3, Year 4, Year 5 and Year 6 Addition and Subtraction textbooks;
Year 3, Year 4, Year 5 and Year 6 Multiplication and Division textbooks;
Year 3, Year 4, Year 5 and Year 6 Teacher’s Books.
- Solving Problems (2000)
For children aged 7 to 11, 32 pages each, with accompanying teachers’ books, 32 pages, published by Heinemann.
Pupil Book 3, 4, 5 and 6; Teacher’s Notes 3, 4, 5 and 6.
- Oxford First Book of Maths (1999)
For children aged 5 to 7, 48 pages, published by Oxford University Press.
Translated for Chinese co-edition (2003).
- Number Connections: a series structured in five levels, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow and Purple, for children aged 6 to 11. In this first edition, each level had 3 pupil textbooks of 32 pages each, a Teacher’s Guide of 80 pages, and Copymasters, 96 pages.
Red Level and Blue Level (1995)
Green Level and Yellow Level (1996)
Purple Level (1998)
- Material from the pupil books was adapted for use as English-medium textbooks for Vietnam, entitled Success with Mathematics (2008).
- School Mathematics Project Amber Series: nine textbooks for pupils aged 13 to 19 with accompanying teachers’ materials, published by Cambridge University Press. Co-writer in a team of up to 6 people working on the series at any one time.
- Amber Book 1, Book 2 and Book 3 (all 1995), 48 pages each;
- Teacher’s Guide to A1, A2 and A3 (1995), 108 pages;
- Worksheet masters for A1, A2 and A3 (1995), 60 pages;
- Amber Book 4, Book 5 and Book 6 (all 1996), 48 pages each;
- Teacher’s Guide to A4, A5 and A6 (1996), 108 pages;
- Worksheet masters for A4, A5 and A6 (1996), 60 pages;
- Amber Book 7 (1997), Book 8 (1998) and Book 9 (1999), 48 pages each;
- Teacher’s Guide to A7, A8 and A9 (1999), 108 pages;
- Worksheet masters for A7, A8 and A9 (1999), 60 pages.
- Ginn Maths 2+ Book 1 and Book 2 (1995)
For children aged 6 to 8, 32 pages each, published by Ginn.
- Ginn Maths 2+ Teacher’s Resource Book (1995)
Companion to pupils’ books above, 80 pages, published by Ginn.
- The Worst Witch’s Spelling Book (1995) .
(illustrated by Jill Murphy, author of the Worst Witch stories)
For children aged 7 to 9, 80 pages, published by Puffin.
- Magic Maths (1994)
For children aged 8 to 10, 32 pages, published by Scholastic.
- Essentials in Maths (1993): a series of 5 books for teachers of children aged 5 to 7, 32 pages each, published by Scholastic:
Numbers to 9 Numbers to 20 First Fractions Numbers to 50 Money
Consultant editor for three further titles in the same series.
- Simple Maths: a series of eight books for children aged 5 to 8, 32 pages each, published by A&C Black.
Railways Boxes Circles Printing (all 1992)
Numbers Games Number Puzzles Facts and Figures (all 1993)
American edition of series published by Gareth Stevens (USA) as First Step Math in 1995.
Reissued additionally in the UK in paperback, 1999.
- Puffin Holiday Fun Book (1992)
For children aged 6 to 11, 96 pages, published by Puffin.
- Using Numbers (1991) and Using Shape (1991)
For children aged 5 to 7, 24 pages each, published by Hodder & Stoughton for WH Smith.
- Calculator Alligator and Tiger Time (1991)
For children aged 5 to 7, 32 pages each, published by Hodder & Stoughton.
- Mice Maths (1991) and Mice Words (1993)
For children aged 6 to 8, 96 pages each, published by Puffin.
- Woodcraft Folk Activity Book (1988)
For children aged 6 to 11, 48 pages, published by Macdonald.
- Maths Through Play (1988)
For parents and adults working with children aged 0 to 8, 96 pages, published by Macdonald.
- Gorilla Word Games (1988)
For children aged 7 to 10, 64 pages, published by Methuen.
- Stories for Equality (1987)
Three storypacks for adults working with children aged 6 to 12, published by the Woodcraft Folk.
- The Puffin Calculator Book (1984), The Puffin Number and Shape Book (1984), The Puffin Times Tables Book (1985) and The Puffin Pre-Computer Book (1985)
For children aged 8 to 11, 32 pages each, published by Puffin.