Dr Palitha Edirisingha
Lecturer in E-learning
Office: + 44 (0)116 252 3753
Mobile: + 44 (0)7525 246 592
- PhD in Educational Technology, Open University, UK
- MEd in Education and the Mass Media, The University of Manchester, UK.
- BSc in Agriculture, The University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka.
Research and supervision interests
The potential of digital and social software technologies to support formal and informal learning; digital literacy from an international perspective; digital divide; technology-enhanced problem-based learning; e-learning in developing countries; and learning in 3D virtual worlds.
SCENE (problem-based learning); IMPALA (podcasting), WoLF (m-learning), MOOSE (3D virtual worlds), GIRAFFE (wikis), and PELICANS (Web 2.0) (www.le.ac.uk/mediazoo).
Teaching and supervision of students
- Supervising PhD students
- Course team member of The MSc in Learning Innovation Programme (Institute of Learning Innovation). Module leader/coordinator Learning Innovation Case Studies, Research Design and Methodology, and Dissertation modules.
- Core course team member of the MA in International Education programme (School of Education). Co-convenor of two pathway modules (Pedagogy Lead module and Critical and Future Pedagogies module). Teaching on Contemporary Issues in Education, Pedagogy, and Critical and Future Pedagogies modules.
- Teaching on a module on BSc Communications, Media and Society (Dept of Media and Communication)
- Personal and dissertation supervisor for MA (International Education) students.
- Member of the College of Social Science Enterprise Committee (representing School of Education).
- Editorial board member of the Interactive Learning Environments
- Reviewer for the Journals International Journal of Lifelong Learning, Learning, Media and Technology, EURODL, Enginnering Education, The Journal of Interactive Media in Education and Progressio (a Journal published by the University of South Africa).
- Organising committee member of the Higher Education Academy-sponsored ELE SIG (Evaluation of the Learners’ Experience of e-leaning Special Interest Group)
- Academic committee member of the Personal Learning Environments Conference July 2010, Barcelona, and July 2011, Southampton; Programme committee member of The 2nd International Workshop “Interactive Environments and Emergent Technologies for eLearning” (IEETeL 2011), Université de Bourgogne, Dijon, France, June, 2011.
- Academic committee member of the Personal Learning Environments Conference July 2013 (Berlin), July 2011 (Southampton), July 2010 (Barcelona); Programme committee member of The 2nd International Workshop “Interactive Environments and Emergent Technologies for eLearning” (IEETeL 2011), Université de Bourgogne, Dijon, France, June, 2011.
- Evaluator for National Research Foundation (NRF), South Africa
- Convenor of the E-Learning and Knowledge Sharing (ELKS) online community (a community of researchers and practitioners interested in pedagogy and technology at all levels of education.
- Salmon, G., and Edirisingha, P. (eds.). (2008). Podcasting for Learning in Universities, London: Open University Press and SRHE.
- Salmon, G., Edirisingha, P., Mobbs, M., Mobbs, R., and Denette, C. (2008). How to Create Podcasts for Education, London: Open University Press and SRHE.
- Edirisingha, P., Hawkridge, D., and Fothergill, J. (2010). A Renaissance of Audio: Podcasting approaches for learning on campus and beyond, European Journal of Open Distance and E-Learning. (URL http://www.eurodl.org/?article=393)
- Salmon, G,. Nie, M., and Edirisingha, P. (2010). Developing a five-stage model of learning in Second Life, Educational Research (Special Issue on Virtual Worlds). Vol. 52, Issue 2, pp. 169 – 182.
- Edirisingha, P. (2009). Swimming in the deep-end: an e-mentoring approach to help mature students’ transition to higher education, European Journal of Open Distance and E-Learning, Issue I.
- Edirisingha, P., & Fothergill, J. (2009). Balancing e-lectures with podcasts: A case study of an undergraduate engineering module. Engineering Education: Journal of the Higher Education Academy Engineering Subject Centre, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 14-24.
- Edirisingha, P., Nie, M., Pluciennik, M., and Young, R. (2009). Socialisation for learning at a distance in a 3-D multi-user virtual environment, British Journal of Educational Technology, 40(3). pp. 458-479.
- Edirisingha, P., & Salmon, G. (2009). iPodology: The new kid on the block. Journal of Lifelong Learning in Europe, Vol. XIV, Issue 3, pp. 153 – 160.
Heaton Shrestha, C., May, S., Edirisingha, P., Linsey, Tim., and Burke, L. (2009). From face to face to e-Mentoring: Does the ‘e’ Add Any Value for Mentors? International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education., Volume 20, Number 2, 116-124.
- Edirisingha, P., Rizzi, C., Nie, M., and Rothwell, L. (2007). Podcasting to provide teaching and learning support for an undergraduate module on English Language and Communication, Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education, 8(3), pp. 87 – 107.
- Heaton-Shrestha,C., Gipps,C., Edirisingha,P., and Linsey,T. (2007). Learning and e-learning in HE: the relationship between student learning style and VLE use, Research Papers in Education, 22(4), pp. 443-464.
- Heaton-Shrestha, C., Edirisingha, P., Burke, L., and Linsey, T. (2006). Introducing VLE into campus-based undergraduate teaching: Staff perspectives on its impact on teaching, International Journal of Educational Research, 43(6), pp.370-386.
Chapters in books and proceedings
- Nie, M., Bird, T., & Edirisingha, P. (2013). E-book readers and PDAs for work-based learners. In Z. L. Berge & L. Y. Muilenburg (eds). Handbook of Mobile Learning. Routledge.
- Edirisingha, P. (2012) A podcasting framework for teaching and learning in higher education, In A.L. Etexeberria (ed.). Global e-learning, Madrid: Univesidad A Distancia De Madrid.
- Kompen, R, and Edirisingha, P. (2012). Personal Learning Environments in Distance Education, In R. Amirault et al., (eds.). Trends and Issues in Distance Education (2nd edn.). Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing.
- Fothergill, J., and Edirisingha, P. (2011). Online Teaching and Learning – 21st Century Professional Competencies for both Academics and Students? Proceedings of the IETEC’ 11 Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 2011.
- Edirisingha, P., Pluciennik, M., and Young, R. (2010). Using a three dimensional multi-user virtual environment to teach spatial theory in archaeology, in A.T. Wilson (ed.). UK Chapter in Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology: Proceedings of the CAA UK Chapter Meeting, University of Liverpool, 6-7 February, 2009, Oxford: Archaeopress.
- Cigognini, M., E., Pettenati, M. C., and Edirisingha, P. (2010). Personal Knowledge Management Skills in Web 2.0-based learning. In Lee, M., and C. Mcloughlin (eds.). Web 2.0-Based E-Learning: Applying Social Informatics for Tertiary Teaching, Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Edirisingha, P., and Nikoi, S (2010). Mobile learning in the workplace: Teaching Assistants’ experience with PDAs in classrooms, in R. Güttler and O. Peters (eds.). Grundlagen der Weiterbildung - Praxishilfen (GdW Ph), Köln: Luchterhand (Wolterskluwer Deutschland GmbH).
- Edirisingha, P., and Popova, A. (2010). Podcasting: a learning technology, In S. Mishra (ed.). E-Learning: STRIDE Handbook 08, New Delhi: Indira Gandhi National Open University. Chapter 9 (pp. 66-69).
- Edirisingha, P. (2009). Podcasting as a Listening Culture: Implications for Learning, in S. Wheeler (ed.). Connected Minds, Emerging Cultures: Cybercultures in Online Learning, Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Edirisingha, P., Hill, M., and Heaton Shrestha, C. (2009). E-mentoring to help mature students’ transition to university, in U. Bernath et al., (eds.). Distance and E-learning in Transition: Learning innovation, technology and social challenges, London: ISTE and Wiley. Pp. 553-565.
- Torres Kompen, R., Edirisingha, P., and Mobbs, R. (2009). Putting the pieces together: conceptual frameworks for building PLEs with Web 2.0 tools, in U. Bernath et al., (eds.). Distance and E-learning in Transition: Learning innovation, technology and social challenges, London: ISTE and Wiley. Pp. 783-808.
- Edirisingha, P. (2008). Open Basic Education – Organisational structures, costs, and benefits, In W. Bramble & S. Panda (eds.). Economics of Distance and Online Learning: Theory, practice and research, London: Routledge.
- Edirisingha, P., Salmon, G., and Nie, M. (2008). Developing pedagogical podcasts, in G. Salmon and P. Edirisingha (eds.). Podcasting for Learning in Universities, London: Open University Press and SRHE.
- Salmon, G., Mobbs, R., Edirisingha, P., and Denette, C. (2008). Podcasting technology, in G. Salmon and P. Edirisingha (eds.). Podcasting for Learning in Universities, London: Open University Press and SRHE.
- Edirisingha, P., Salmon, G. and Fothergill, J. (2007). Profcasting – a Pilot Study and Guidelines for Integrating Podcasts in a Blended Learning Environment, In U. Bernath and A. Sangrà (eds.). Research on competence development in online distance education and e-learning, Oldenburg: BIS-Verlag. pp. 127 – 137.
- Edirisingha, P., Salmon, G. and Fothergill, J. (2007). Integrating emerging learning technologies into online learning – the case of podcasts, A. Sangrà and U. Bernath (eds.). Exemplary research in distance education, e-learning, and on related competence issues, EDEN.
Videos on YouTube
A five minute video as an introduction to the paper entitled ‘Balancing e-lectures with podcasts: A case study of an undergraduate engineering module’ published in Engineering Education: Journal of the Higher Education Academy Engineering Subject Centre. Available at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2_1WkXhbTk. Published in 2010.