Dr Palitha Edirisingha
Lecturer in E-learning
Direct line: + 44 (0) 116 252 3753
Mobile: + 44 (0) 7905 090 352
- PhD in Educational Technology, Open University, UK
- MEd in Education and the Mass Media, The University of Manchester, UK.
- BSc in Agriculture, The University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka.
Research and supervision interests
The potential of digital devices and emerging web-based technologies to support formal and informal learning; and harnessing technologies to improve lifelong learning and open and distance education in developing countries.
IMPALA (podcasting), WoLF (m-learning), MOOSE (3D virtual worlds), GIRAFFE (wikis), and PELICANS (Web 2.0) (www.le.ac.uk/mediazoo).
Teaching and supervision of students
- Supervising PhD students
- Teaching on the module ‘Contemporary Issues in Education’ (MA International Education, School of Education)
- Teaching on a module on BSc Communications, Media and Society (Dept of Media and Communication)
- Editorial board member of the Interactive Learning Environments
- Reviewer for International Journal of Lifelong Learning, Learning, Media and Technology, EURODL, and The Journal of Interactive Media in Education.
- Organising committee member of the Higher Education Academy-sponsored ELE SIG (Evaluation of the Learners’ Experience of e-leaning Special Interest Group)
- Academic committee member of the Personal Learning Environments Conference July 2010, Barcelona, and July 2011, Southampton; Programme committee member of The 2nd International Workshop “Interactive Environments and Emergent Technologies for eLearning” (IEETeL 2011), Université de Bourgogne, Dijon, France, June, 2011.
- Convenor of the E-Learning and Knowledge Sharing (ELKS) online community (a community of researchers and practitioners interested in pedagogy and technology at all levels of education.
- Salmon, G., and Edirisingha, P. (eds.). (2008). Podcasting for Learning in Universities, London: Open University Press and SRHE.
- Salmon, G., Edirisingha, P., Mobbs, M., Mobbs, R., and Denette, C. (2008). How to Create Podcasts for Education, London: Open University Press and SRHE.
- Edirisingha, P., Hawkridge, D., and Fothergill, J. (2010). A Renaissance of Audio: Podcasting approaches for learning on campus and beyond, European Journal of Open Distance and E-Learning. (URL http://www.eurodl.org/?article=393)
- Salmon, G,. Nie, M., and Edirisingha, P. (2010). Developing a five-stage model of learning in Second Life, Educational Research (Special Issue on Virtual Worlds). Vol. 52, Issue 2, pp. 169 – 182.
- Edirisingha, P. (2009). Swimming in the deep-end: an e-mentoring approach to help mature students’ transition to higher education, European Journal of Open Distance and E-Learning, Issue I.
- Edirisingha, P., & Fothergill, J. (2009). Balancing e-lectures with podcasts: A case study of an undergraduate engineering module. Engineering Education: Journal of the Higher Education Academy Engineering Subject Centre, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 14-24.
- Edirisingha, P., Nie, M., Pluciennik, M., and Young, R. (2009). Socialisation for learning at a distance in a 3-D multi-user virtual environment, British Journal of Educational Technology, 40(3). pp. 458-479.
- Edirisingha, P., & Salmon, G. (2009). iPodology: The new kid on the block. Journal of Lifelong Learning in Europe, Vol. XIV, Issue 3, pp. 153 – 160.
Heaton Shrestha, C., May, S., Edirisingha, P., Linsey, Tim., and Burke, L. (2009). From face to face to e-Mentoring: Does the ‘e’ Add Any Value for Mentors? International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education., Volume 20, Number 2, 116-124.
- Edirisingha, P., Rizzi, C., Nie, M., and Rothwell, L. (2007). Podcasting to provide teaching and learning support for an undergraduate module on English Language and Communication, Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education, 8(3), pp. 87 – 107.
- Heaton-Shrestha,C., Gipps,C., Edirisingha,P., and Linsey,T. (2007). Learning and e-learning in HE: the relationship between student learning style and VLE use, Research Papers in Education, 22(4), pp. 443-464.
- Heaton-Shrestha, C., Edirisingha, P., Burke, L., and Linsey, T. (2006). Introducing VLE into campus-based undergraduate teaching: Staff perspectives on its impact on teaching, International Journal of Educational Research, 43(6), pp.370-386.
- Preece, J., and Edirisingha, P. (2001). ‘Learning to be an active citizen: a gender perspective’, Sociale Interventie, 10 (4), pp. 37-46.
Chapters in books and proceedings
- Kompen, R, and Edirisingha, P. (2011). Personal Learning Environments in Distance Education, In R. Amirault et al., (eds.). Trends and Issues in Distance Education (2nd edn.). Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing.
- Fothergill, J., and Edirisingha, P. (2011). Online Teaching and Learning – 21st Century Professional Competencies for both Academics and Students? Proceedings of the IETEC’ 11 Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 2011.
- Edirisingha, P., Pluciennik, M., and Young, R. (2010). Using a three dimensional multi-user virtual environment to teach spatial theory in archaeology, in A.T. Wilson (ed.). UK Chapter in Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology: Proceedings of the CAA UK Chapter Meeting, University of Liverpool, 6-7 February, 2009, Oxford: Archaeopress.
- Cigognini, M., E., Pettenati, M. C., and Edirisingha, P. (2010). Personal Knowledge Management Skills in Web 2.0-based learning. In Lee, M., and C. Mcloughlin (eds.). Web 2.0-Based E-Learning: Applying Social Informatics for Tertiary Teaching, Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Edirisingha, P., and Nikoi, S (2010). Mobile learning in the workplace: Teaching Assistants’ experience with PDAs in classrooms, in R. Güttler and O. Peters (eds.). Grundlagen der Weiterbildung - Praxishilfen (GdW Ph), Köln: Luchterhand (Wolterskluwer Deutschland GmbH).
- Edirisingha, P., and Popova, A. (2010). Podcasting: a learning technology, In S. Mishra (ed.). E-Learning: STRIDE Handbook 08, New Delhi: Indira Gandhi National Open University. Chapter 9 (pp. 66-69).
- Edirisingha, P. (2009). Podcasting as a Listening Culture: Implications for Learning, in S. Wheeler (ed.). Connected Minds, Emerging Cultures: Cybercultures in Online Learning, Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
Edirisingha, P., Hill, M., and Heaton Shrestha, C. (2009). E-mentoring to help mature students’ transition to university, in U. Bernath et al., (eds.). Distance and E-learning in Transition: Learning innovation, technology and social challenges, London: ISTE and Wiley. Pp. 553-565.
- Torres Kompen, R., Edirisingha, P., and Mobbs, R. (2009). Putting the pieces together: conceptual frameworks for building PLEs with Web 2.0 tools, in U. Bernath et al., (eds.). Distance and E-learning in Transition: Learning innovation, technology and social challenges, London: ISTE and Wiley. Pp. 783-808.
- Edirisingha, P. (2008). Open Basic Education – Organisational structures, costs, and benefits, In W. Bramble & S. Panda (eds.). Economics of Distance and Online Learning: Theory, practice and research, London: Routledge.
- Edirisingha, P., Salmon, G., and Nie, M. (2008). Developing pedagogical podcasts, in G. Salmon and P. Edirisingha (eds.). Podcasting for Learning in Universities, London: Open University Press and SRHE.
- Salmon, G., Mobbs, R., Edirisingha, P., and Denette, C. (2008). Podcasting technology, in G. Salmon and P. Edirisingha (eds.). Podcasting for Learning in Universities, London: Open University Press and SRHE.
- Edirisingha, P., Salmon, G. and Fothergill, J. (2007). Profcasting – a Pilot Study and Guidelines for Integrating Podcasts in a Blended Learning Environment, In U. Bernath and A. Sangrà (eds.). Research on competence development in online distance education and e-learning, Oldenburg: BIS-Verlag. pp. 127 – 137.
- Edirisingha, P., Salmon, G. and Fothergill, J. (2007). Integrating emerging learning technologies into online learning – the case of podcasts, A. Sangrà and U. Bernath (eds.). Exemplary research in distance education, e-learning, and on related competence issues, EDEN.
- Holford, J., and Edirisingha, P. (2002). ‘Adult Learning, Active Citizenship and Governance in Europe: theoretical, methodological and policy perspectives’ In M. Schweisfurth, L. Davies and C. Harber (eds.). Learning Democracy and Citizenship: International Experiences, Oxford: Symposium Books. pp. 273-289.
- Merricks, L., and Edirisingha, P. (2001). ‘Learning to be Active Citizens: Insights from British life histories’ In M. Schemmann and M. Bron Jr (eds.). Adult Education and Democratic Citizenship IV, Krakov: Impuls Publishers. pp. 113-124.
- Dodds, T., and Edirisingha, P. (2000). ‘Organisational and Delivery Structures’, in C. Yates and J. Bradley (eds.). Basic Education through Open and Distance Learning: World Review of Distance Education and Open Learning: Vol. 2, London: Routledge & Vancouver: Commonwealth of Learning. pp. 87-109.
Videos on YouTube
A five minute video as an introduction to the paper entitled ‘Balancing e-lectures with podcasts: A case study of an undergraduate engineering module’ published in Engineering Education: Journal of the Higher Education Academy Engineering Subject Centre. Available at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2_1WkXhbTk. Published in 2010.