We offer high quality PGCE training here at the University of Leicester through our two vibrant and successful PGCE programmes:
We are currently offering, in partnership with Teaching School Alliances in the region, an innovative pathway into teaching known as School Direct
Some elements of the programme will be delivered within the Alliance schools; others as part of our mainstream PGCE programmes. Successful completion of the programme will lead to the award of a University of Leicester PGCE (see the Qualifications section for further information). Enquiries about this exciting new model of Initial Teacher Education should initially be directed to the Teaching School Alliances
Brooke Weston Teaching School Alliance
Lead school: Brooke Weston Academy, Corby
Secondary PGCE in Chemistry, English, Geography, History and Mathematics
Secondary PGCE in Maths, Physics, Modern Foreign Languages and English
Thomas Estley Learning Alliance
Lead school: Thomas Estley Community College, Leicestershire
Secondary PGCE in Maths, Physics, Chemistry (now full for 2013 entry), Modern Foreign Languages, English and History
Affinity Teaching School Alliance
Lead school: Kibworth C of E Primary School, Leicestershire
- All successful students will gain a PGCE and Qualified Teacher Status qualification.
- All students will be awarded the PGCE at Professional or Masters level. Students who pass at Masters level will be awarded 60 credits which can be put towards a full Masters qualification. To gain a full Masters, students are encouraged to consider completing further modules within the School once they have attained QTS and have gained some classroom experience.
What will I gain?
- excellent support from both university and school tutors
- advanced subject knowledge and classroom expertise
- an environment in which students can support each other in the development of their skills
- the ability to plan and structure lessons effectively to ensure that pupils make progress with their learning
- the opportunity to develop an understanding of your professional role within a department and a whole school team
- a diverse range of school placements
Premier Plus Service
The Teaching Agency are offering the Premier Plus service for those who intend to start initial teacher training in September 2013. Eligible registrants to this service will receive benefits such as:
- Personalised advice on becoming a teacher
- Tailored guidance with the application process.
Check out our videos to find out what it's really like to study here from our students.
This Teaching Life
Have you got what it takes?
The Student Experience