MA in Education: Learning and Teaching
Mode: Campus-based, Part-time
QTS or suitable experience in an educational setting
An honours degree, class 2.2 or above
Fees: Dependent on your chosen options
Application Deadline: 4 weeks before your course start date
Course Start Dates: September, October, November 2013 depending on options chosen
Length of course: 1 year for each 60 credit module; 3 Years for the complete MA (if no credits are brought in as accredited prior learning)
The MA in Education: Learning and Teaching is a part-time route to a Masters degree for teachers and other graduate educational professionals.
This practical and relevant course will provide you with the opportunity to deepen and boarden your knowledge, skills and understanding of the issues surrounding learning and teaching.
Most people take a part-time Masters degree over a period of three years. In the first two years, you will choose a 60 credit course each year from our Postgraduate Certificate courses. If you already have 60 credits from previous study in the last five years you may go straight into the second year of the programme.
In your third year, you will undertake a Professional Enquiry, in your own school or setting, instead of the traditional dissertation. Assessment of this enquiry is broken down into four submissions at two submission points to spread the demands of this course over the academic year.
The MA aims to:
- enable you to gain a valuable qualification that demonstrates a deeper understanding of the complex field of learning and teaching
- deliver inspiring ideas and provide a platform for discussion
- give you the opportunity to reflect on your own practice within a national and international context
- provide you with the opportunity to share ideas with other colleagues from different schools and local authorities
The MA is structured as follows:
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Postgraduate Certificate Option 1 (60 Credits) *||Postgraduate Certificate Option 2 (60 Credits)||Professional Enquiry (60 Credits)|
* or previous approved M-level credit at level 7 and have been completed in the last 5 years can be carried forward (e.g. from NPQH or M level accredited PGCE)
The Professional Enquiry
The Professional Enquiry begins with taught sessions on research methods in the autumn term to provide you with the background you need for a study to be taken in your own school or setting. A personal tutor will help you decide on a topic for your enquiry, and will provide you with specialist support.
Fee for the Professional Enquiry for 2013/2014 is £1,725
Dates for the Professional Enquiry for 2013 - 2014 are as follows:
You will be placed in Group A. Group B dates will only be used if Group A is over-subscribed.
|Group A||Group B|
Wednesday 16th October, Full day
Thursday 17th October, Full day
|Wednesday 6th November, Full day||
Thursday 7th November, Full day
|Thursday 28th November (PM ONLY)||
Thursday 28th November (AM ONLY)
How to Apply
Please return your completed application form and supporting documents to:
- The Admissions Office, University of Leicester, University Road, Leicester LE1 7RH.
For specific enquiries about the MA in Education: Learning and Teaching please contact us on:
- Tel: +44 (0) 116 252 3656
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org