Dr Barbara Roberts
Lecturer in Economics
- Tel: 0116 252 2906
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: AC201, Astley Clarke Building
- Office Hours: Monday 1pm-3pm
- Foreign direct investment
- Transition in Eastern Europe
Research papers can be downloaded via RePEc.
Foreign Direct Investment. This is a very broad topic allowing for a single country, a cross-country or a cross-industry analysis. There is a range of aspects to examine, such as determinants of FDI, motives for FDI or the effect of FDI on growth.
Globalisation and Firm-level Adjustment. Globalisation affects the behaviour of firms in many ways. There is a range of aspects to examine such as the disciplining effect of foreign competition, exporting decisions, cross-border mergers and acquisitions.
Privatisation and Performance. An ongoing debate on the economic and political merits of private versus state ownership motivates further empirical research in this area. There is a range of aspects to examine such as the choice of firms for privatisation, domestic and foreign acquisitions and efficiency effects of ownership change.
- EC1009: Statistics for Economists 2
- EC3066: The Global Economy
- EC7091: Quantitative Methods for Business and Finance
- Student Progress Officer
- Joint Degrees Tutor
- Member of the Undergraduate Learning and Teaching Committee
Most Recent Publications
- ‘Privatisations around the world: economic or political determinants?’, Economics and Politics, 2012, Vol. 24, pp. 47-71 (with M. Saeed)
- 'Source country characteristics and the inflow of foreign direct investment into Saudi Arabia', The World Economy, 2009, Vol. 32, pp. 1730-1746, (with A. Almahmood)
- 'Privatisation in Poland: What was the government trying to achieve?', Economics of Transition, 2009, Vol. 17, pp. 531-557 (with G. De Fraja)
- 'Firm turnover, restructuring and labour productivity in transition', Applied Economics, 2009, Vol. 41, pp. 1127-1136 (with S. Thompson)
- ‘Privatisation, foreign acquisition and the motives for FDI in Eastern Europe’, Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), 2008, Vol. 144, pp. 408-427, (with S. Thompson and K. Mikolajczyk)