The Ernest and Helen Scott Haematological Research Institute
Thanks to the generous philanthropic support of The Scott-Waudby Charitable Trust, the University of Leicester has been able to establish a Haematological Research Institute that will enhance existing programs and make possible new initiatives in translational research in haemato-oncology. A summary of our vision and of our strengths can be found here.
We follow a programme of work covering four integrated streams:
- Carry out basic science research activities to investigate the mechanisms of tumorigenesis and of resistance to therapies.
- Develop new tools for diagnosis and stratification of patients for better response to therapies.
- Develop new therapeutic agents and procedures.
- Investigate the mechanisms of action of new therapies available in clinical trials and mechanism of resistance
- Academic expertise
- Clinical expertise
- About 20 clinical trials are currently recruiting patients with Leukaemia and Lymphoma (ONO/GS4059)
- Access to a large patient population covering Leicester, Northampton and Rutland
- Translational research environment at Leicester:
- The University of Leicester Drug Discovery and Diagnostics Centre
- The Hope Unit established with the support of the local charity, Hope against Cancer, to facilitate the inclusion of patients in new Clinical Trials
- Cancer Research UK has recognised the excellence of the research against cancer at the University of Leicester
- Experimental Cancer Medicine Centre
- Good relationships with diverse pharmaceutical companies
Institute Director: Prof Martin Dyer
Institute Deputy Director: Prof Simon Wagner
Academic Clinical Lecturer: Dr Matt Ahearne
Institute Manager: Dr Sandrine Jayne
Clinical Research Fellow/PhD student: Dr Harriet Walter
Clinical Research Fellow/PhD Student: Dr Rebecca Allchin
Post-doc: Dr Larissa Lezina
PhD students: Mr Sami Mamand, Mr Matt Carr, Ms Afaf Alharthi
Academic Clinical Fellow: Dr Katie Wickenden
Research technician: Ms Nadia Nawaz, Mr Jagdish Mahale
Our collaborators in Leicester:
The list of our publications can be found here.
How to support us