Professor Dean Fennell
Chair of Thoracic Medical Oncology
- Tel: 0116 252 5174
- Email: DF132@le.ac.uk,
- Office: Room 324, Level 3, Robert Kilpatrick Clinical Sciences Building, Leicester Royal Infirmary LE2 7LX, and Laboratory 411, 4th Floor, Hodgkin Building.
- Academic Secretary: Jenny McNair, email: JM65@le.ac.uk, Tel: 0116 252 3170
- Clinical Secretary: Nila Parmar, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: 0116 258 6295
- BSc (1st Class) in Pharmacology, University College London
- MBBS, University College London
- MRCP (London)
- Ph.D. (London)
- CCST specialist accreditation in Medical Oncology
Professor Fennell's clinical specialisation is in thoracic medical oncology and early clinical trials, particularly mesothelioma, with a particular interest in therapeutic targeting of the core apoptosis pathways. Prof Fennell leads a Cancer Research UK funded group with a laboratory focusing on apoptosis, drug resistance, and signature-based therapeutics using the connectivity map for accelerated, targeted drug discovery. He is currently leading UK and international clinical trials of novel targeted therapies in Lung Cancer and Mesothelioma.
- Jamal-Hanjani, M., et al., Tracking genomic cancer evolution for precision medicine: the lung TRACERx study. PLoS Biol, 2014. 12(7): p. e1001906.
- Richards, M.W., et al., Crystal structure of EML1 reveals the basis for Hsp90 dependence of oncogenic EML4-ALK by disruption of an atypical beta-propeller domain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 2014. 111(14): p. 5195-200.
- Majkut, J., et al., Differential affinity of FLIP and procaspase 8 for FADD's DED binding surfaces regulates DISC assembly. Nat Commun, 2014. 5: p. 3350.
- Yuen, H.F., et al., RanGTPase: a candidate for Myc-mediated cancer progression. J Natl Cancer Inst, 2013. 105(7): p. 475-88.
- Busacca, S., et al., BRCA1 is an essential mediator of vinorelbine-induced apoptosis in mesothelioma. J Pathol, 2012. 227(2): p. 200-8.
- Yuen, H.F., et al., Polyomavirus enhancer activator 3 protein promotes breast cancer metastatic progression through Snail-induced epithelial-mesenchymal transition. J Pathol, 2011. 224(1): p. 78-89.
- Yuen, H.F., et al., Ran is a potential therapeutic target for cancer cells with molecular changes associated with activation of the PI3K/Akt/mTORC1 and Ras/MEK/ERK pathways. Clin Cancer Res, 2012. 18(2): p. 380-91.
- Paul, I., et al., Acquired differential regulation of caspase-8 in cisplatin-resistant non-small-cell lung cancer. Cell Death Dis, 2012. 3: p. e449.
- van Meerbeeck, J.P., D.A. Fennell, and D.K. De Ruysscher, Small-cell lung cancer. Lancet, 2011. 378(9804): p. 1741-55.
- Paul, I., et al., PARP inhibition induces BAX/BAK-independent synthetic lethality of BRCA1-deficient non-small cell lung cancer. J Pathol, 2011. 224(4): p. 564-74.
To view all of Professor Fennell's publications, please use the link: PubMed Publication Listing
Supervision of Research Students
- Dr Ed Law, PhD
Post Doctoral Scientists
- Dr Sara Busacca
- Dr Shona Elshaw
Academic Distinction and National Profile
To view Professor Fennell's academic distinctions and national profiles, please click on this link: Academic Distinction and National Profile
In The News
Professor Fennell has appeared in many newspaper/media articles. To read the stories, please click on this link: News Articles.