Professor Dean Fennell, PhD FRCP
Chair of Thoracic Medical Oncology
Cancer Research UK Centre Leicester, University of Leicester and University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust
- Tel: 0116 258 7603
- Email: DF132@le.ac.uk,
- Office: Level 2, Osborne Building, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester Royal Infirmary, and Laboratory 411, 4th Floor, Hodgkin Building.
- Academic Secretary: Linda Willis, email: email@example.com, Tel: 0116 258 7602
- Clinical Secretary: Sarah Pascale, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: 0116 258 7632
Appointed to my current post in 2012, I initially qualified with a first class degree in Pharmacology followed by Medicine and Surgery from University College London (UCL).
After basic specialist training at UCL, Hammersmith, Brompton, Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals in London I obtained membership of the Royal College of Physicians, followed by a PhD in Oncology as a MRC Clinical research fellow in UCL. I completed training in Medical Oncology at St Bartholomew’s Hospital and then undertook back-to-back Cancer Research UK (CRUK) Clinician Scientist Fellowships based at the CRUK Centre in Belfast.
I was elected fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (London) in 2007. I also served two terms on the board of the European Organisation for Reasearch and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC), lead a translational research laboratory and international clinical trials portfolio focused on translating novel precision medicine strategies from the lab to the clinic.
I'm the current president of the International Mesothelioma interest group, co-chairing the global meeting in the UK in 2016. I was also a planning committee member of the 2016 International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC) world lung cancer conference. I have writen more than 100 publications in journals including Lancet, Lancet Oncology, Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, Nature Communications and Journal of the National Cancer Institute.
Prizes and Honours
Ist year - Best Performance
2nd year - Heinz Schild Prize
Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Neurology, Surgery, Clinical Pharmacology, Respiratory Medicine.
American Society of Haematology award
Chairs, boards and steering groups
- 2012 - President Elect, IMIG
- 2010, 2011 - IASLC Fellowships Committee
- 2010, 2011 - ASCO-NCI-EORTC Planning Committees
- 2010, 2008, 2006 - IMIG (Conference Chair 2008 & 2006)
- 2009 - AACR-NCI-EORTC Scientific Committee Conference
- 2004 - British Thoracic Oncology Group, former Faculty IASLC
- Member - UKLCC Virtual MDT
- IACR Council
- EORTC lung group
- NCRI lung studies group, mesothelioma subgroup and new agents group
- CCRB Steering Committee
- International panel for adenocarcinoma classification
- MK0683-014-04 phase III vorinostat mesothelioma steering Scientific Committee
- Dr Ed Law, PhD
- Dr Sara Busacca
- Dr Shona Elshaw