Why Study Criminology at Leicester?
- Genuine criminological expertise: Leicester is one of the very few universities in the country to have its own department exclusively dedicated to researching and teaching criminology and our students benefit from learning in an environment that is home to some of the UK's leading criminologists.
- International reputation:Leicester is ranked in the top 2% of universities in the world by the QS World University Rankings and THE World University Rankings. In 2013 Leicester was the highest climbing UK university in the THE World Rankings, moving up 35 places to 161st in the table. .
- Excellent support: We pride ourselves in our supportive culture, providing a welcoming academic environment in which to undertake your course of study. The University of Leicester won the 2009/10 Times Higher Education Award for Outstanding Student Support.
- Research led: Our philosophy of research-led teaching ensures that you will be learning about the very latest debates in policy and practice. Research by THE and Opinion Panel published in February 2011 rated Leicester third best in England (after Oxford and Cambridge) for the quality of lecturing staff.
- Flexibility and choice: The Department of Criminology offers a comprehensive and exciting range of modules. If you choose to study our MSc Criminology programme you will havea great deal of flexibility in your choice of options, thereby enabling you to study topics that you are interested in.
- Forward thinking: Our innovative array of teaching and assessment methods encourages students to engage in critical debate.
- League table success: Establishing itself as one of the foremost universities in the UK, the University of Leicester has risen in every major league table and we are consistently ranked in the top 20 out of over 120 universities. We were also named runner-up University of the Year in the Times/Sunday Times University Guide 2014.
- Career prospects: Studying criminology at Leicester will enhance and broaden your academic knowledge, develop key skills and provide good career opportunities. Our MSc Applied Criminology programme includes a work placement, allowing you to gain valuable practical experience in a criminological field.
- Specialist degree streams: Our MSc Clinical Criminology programme is designed especially for students looking to investigate criminological ideas from a more psychological perspective and our MSc Terrorism, Security and Policing focuses on managing terrorism, security and risk in a post 9/11 world.
- Award Winning: The University has won Times Higher Awards in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and most recently in 2013 for Outstanding Communications Team and Outstanding Fundraising Initiative. It is the only university to win awards in seven consecutive years
Next step: Request an information pack and prospectus