A Scrabble Computer Player
Supervisor: Roy Crole (rlc3)
Ability to programme in Java, C++ or a similar langauge.
Aims of Project
The aim is to write a computer program that can play scrabble against a human player, and perhaps against other machines.
Challenges presented by the project
The key challenges are to understand suitable game playing algorithms; and methods of dictionary storage. This will require some algorithms theory, and some simple automata minimalisation (for the dictionary). The GUI will also require careful thought if it is to be a good one. Note that although many people can produce adequate players, implementing one of high quality is not as easy as one might think.
- You will understand the game of scrabble in detail.
- You will be able to describe, and code, efficient game playing algorithms.
- You will be able to describe, and code, efficient dictionary storage and access systems.
- You will be able to produce good GUIs for this and similar games.
Nature of End-Product
- A computer program that can play scrabble, with a very good user interface, and efficient playing strategy.
literature and product survey; understanding and selection of playing algorithms; research into dictionaries; a prototype system which can play a very simplified game of scrabble; specification and design of the final system.
Completion of design; implementation of game; simple user manual; final report.
References can be obtained from Dr. Roy Crole.