MSc/PGCert in Web Applications and Services
The MSc/ PG Cert in Web Applications and Services develops software engineering skills for applications that are distributed on the web, while familiarising you with the practical aspects of relevant software development environments and frameworks such as “Web 2.0” and .Net.
Generally the programme aims to achieve the following:
- Develop a deep understanding of the nature and impact of current challenges faced by the IT industry, so that you know what is expected from a mature professional.
- Develop an awareness of the methodologies and technologies that are available within computer science to address these challenges, so that you can evaluate and analyse specific situations and make informed choices.
- Foster confidence, convey knowledge and develop practical skills in the use of some of these technologies, including both fundamental concepts and state-of-the-art support tools.
- Provide experience of individual project work.
- Encourageyou to develop their interpersonal, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills, and to use these in an imaginative way.
- Secure knowledge and research skills so that you are able to take you studies further to do a PhD, in case you complete the full MSc.
The programme also offers the opportunity for IT professionals to acquire PG qualifications in advanced topics.
Students will be able to study a selection of the following modules (students undertaking the MSc will study 6 modules in addition to the individual project, students studying towards a PG Cert will take 4 modules). Students on the programme have a set of core modules, which they must undertake, and then fill the remaining credits by choosing from the options.
- Advanced Web Technologies (CO7315)
- Semantic Web (CO7316)
- Service-oriented Architeture (CO7314)
- Domain Specific Languages (CO7317)
- Business Information systems (CO7318)
- Generative Development (CO7307)
- Software Measurements and QA (CO7308)
- System Re-engineering (CO7306)
Details of the syllabus of each module is available in the module description. Once students start the programme they will be allocated a personal tutor who will guide them in making the right choices to suit their needs.