Professor Gerry McCann
Professor of Cardiac Imaging and Honorary Consultant Cardiologist
Telephone: 0116 258 3038
Address: Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Leicester, Cardiovascular Research Centre, Glenfield General Hospital, Leicester, LE3 9QP
For general enquiries please email Sarah Sayer, Secretary, or telephone 0116 258 3977
I have established a national and growing international reputation as an expert in Cardiac MRI (CMR).
- BSc (Physiology/Sports Science), University of Glasgow, 1989
- MB ChB University of Glasgow, 1992
- MRCP (UK), 1995
- Dip.Sp.Med., Scottish Royal Colleges, 1997
- MD University of Glasgow, 2002
- BSCMR Board member 2008-2014
- BSCMR Research Group Co-Chair 2012-present
- NIHR CRN CV Deputy Lead East Midlands 2014-present
- NIHR CLRN CV Deputy Lead Leicester, Northampton and Rutland 2012-2014
My research programme is focused on better understanding of cardiovascular disease in vivo, developing and assessing novel treatments and implementing large multi-centre trials that change clinical practice. I have been successful in attracting external funding with grant income over £8M (>£4.5M as PI or lead applicant). I have published three original research papers in one of the world leading cardiology journals, JACC, in the last 18 months.
I have extensive experience in clinical trials in stable and unstable coronary artery disease syndromes. I led the recently published CvLPRIT CMR study and I am the UK Chief investigator for the Bayer Sponsored GADACAD 1 study, an International multi-centre diagnostic accuracy study. I am a PI for the 2 largest trials of cardiac MRI to date (MR-INFORM, the BHF funded CEMARC-2) and a named collaborator in the $15M NIH funded study of CMR to phenotype and risk stratify 2750 00 hypertrophic cardiomyopathy patients. I have overseen the core lab CMR analysis for four Nationally funded trials.
- McCann GP, Khan JN, Greenwood JP, Nazir S, Dalby M, Curzen N, Hetherington S, Kelly DJ, Blackman DJ, Ring A, Peebles C, Wong J, Sasikaran T, Flather M, Swanton H, Gershlick AH. Complete versus lesion-only primary pci: The randomized cardiovascular mr cvlprit substudy. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2015;66:2713-2724
- Gershlick AH, Khan JN, Kelly DJ, Greenwood JP, Sasikaran T, Curzen N, Blackman DJ, Dalby M, Fairbrother KL, Banya W, Wang D, Flather M, Hetherington SL, Kelion AD, Talwar S, Gunning M, Hall R, Swanton H, McCann GP. Randomized trial of complete versus lesion-only revascularization in patients undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention for stemi and multivessel disease: The cvlprit trial. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2015;65:963-972
- Khan JN, Razvi N, Nazir SA, Singh A, Masca NG, Gershlick AH, Squire I, McCann GP. Prevalence and extent of infarct and microvascular obstruction following different reperfusion therapies in st-elevation myocardial infarction. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2014 May 27;16:38
- Nazir SA, Khan JN, McCann GP. Free breathing motion-corrected t1 mapping for robust assessment of myocardial injury post myocardial infarction. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2014 Jul 19
- Singh A, Steadman CD, McCann GP. Advances in the understanding of the pathophysiology and management of aortic stenosis: Role of novel imaging techniques. Can J Cardiol. 2014 Sep;30(9):994-1003
- Khan JN, Wilmot EG, Leggate M, Singh A, Yates T, Nimmo M, Khunti K, Horsfield MA, Biglands J, Clarysse P, Croisille P, Davies M, McCann GP. Subclinical diastolic dysfunction in young adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus: A multiparametric contrast-enhanced cardiovascular magnetic resonance pilot study assessing potential mechanisms. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2014 Nov;15(11):1263-9
- Singh A, Steadman CD, Khan JN, Horsfield MA, Bekele S, Nazir SA, Kanagala P, Masca NG, Clarysse P, McCann GP. Intertechnique agreement and interstudy reproducibility of strain and diastolic strain rate at 1.5 and 3 tesla: A comparison of feature-tracking and tagging in patients with aortic stenosis. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2014 Apr 3.
- Fairbairn TA, Steadman CD, Mather AN, Motwani M, Blackman DJ, Plein S, McCann GP, Greenwood JP. Assessment of valve haemodynamics, reverse ventricular remodelling and myocardial fibrosis following transcatheter aortic valve implantation compared to surgical aortic valve replacement: A cardiovascular magnetic resonance study. Heart. 2013 Aug;99(16):1185-91
- Devaux Y, Vausort M, McCann GP, Zangrando J, Kelly D, Razvi N, Zhang L, Ng LL, Wagner DR, Squire IB. Microrna-150: A novel marker of left ventricular remodeling after acute myocardial infarction. Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2013 Jun;6(3):290-8
- Devaux Y, Vausort M, McCann GP, Kelly D, Collignon O, Ng LL, Wagner DR, Squire IB. A panel of 4 micrornas facilitates the prediction of left ventricular contractility after acute myocardial infarction. PLoS One. 2013 Aug 13;8(8):e70644
- Steadman CD, Jerosch-Herold M, Grundy B, Rafelt S, Ng LL, Squire IB, Samani NJ, McCann GP. Determinants and functional significance of myocardial perfusion reserve in severe aortic stenosis. JACC Cardiovascular imaging. 2012;5:182-189