Why study Biological Sciences at Leicester
- BSc Biological Sciences
- BSc Biological Sciences (Biochemistry)
- BSc Biological Sciences (Genetics)
- BSc Biological Sciences (Microbiology)
- BSc Biological Sciences (Neuroscience)
- BSc Biological Sciences (Physiology with Pharmacology)
- BSc Biological Sciences (Zoology)
- BSc Medical Biochemistry
- BSc Medical Genetics
- BSc Medical Microbiology
- BSc Medical Physiology
Why choose Biological Sciences at Leicester?
- The School is ranked 3rd in the UK for Biosciences in the Guardian 2014 University Guide .
- The School is ranked 2nd overall for student satisfaction in the 2014 Complete University Guide.
- The School was awarded £4.5 million by the Higher Education Funding Council to establish the GENIE Centre of Excellence for Teaching and Learning.
- In the 2013 National Student Survey 92% of students were satisfied with their course.
The School compromises four departments, Biochemistry, Biology, Cell Physiology and Pharmacology, and Genetics, which collaborate in teaching and research. Our ability to offer a wide range of degrees gives our students both breadth of vision and specialised knowledge across the whole range of the modern biological sciences. We offer a range of flexible degrees designed to allow you to follow your own interests.
There is also the opportunity to undertake a four year degree. You can either spend one year studying abroad in the USA, Japan or at another European university under the Erasmus scheme or you can transfer to a four-year sandwich degree that includes a year working in a related industry.
Our excellence in teaching is built on a synergy between international excellence in research and effective learning and teaching. Students are also supported by personal tutors and the University's student support services. Find out more about your learning experience.
Our degrees prepare graduates for a wide range of career opportunities. Many of our graduates follow further training for research or teaching careers in Biology, often through our MSc or PhD programmes at Leicester. Others gain positions in medical or pharmaceutical laboratories, in environmental management, in agriculture or in the food industry. Some choose to enter non-biological professions in business or in management. 93% of our graduates are in employment or full time further study 6 months after graduation.