Archaeological Illustrator, Outreach Officer/Careers Tutor
B/TEC HND, MAAIS, MIFA
Tel: 0116 252 5251
Graduated in Graphic Design/Illustration from Cardiff College of Art and Design, Wales in 1984, worked for five years in the design/illustration profession before joining the University of Leicester in September 1990.
I provide illustration support to academic staff for research publications/projects and teach the techniques of archaeological illustration to university students and the wider community. Illustrations have been published in numerous academic books, journals, papers and popular archaeology magazines, and have also appeared on British and German television. Since joining the school I have worked on sites in Britain, Italy, Israel, and Austria.
I am currently involved as project illustrator for the following;
- The American Excavations at Kenchreai, ancient port of Corinth, Greece, directed by Professor Joe Rife (Vanderbilt University) and Professor Jorge Bravo (University of Maryland).
- Operation Nightingale Project at Whitewall Brake, Caerwent, Wales, directed by Professor Simon James (University of Leicester) and Sgt Diarmaid Walshe (Operation Nightingale).
- Charnwood Roots Project (Dr Julie Attard, University of Leicester).
Outreach & Widening Participation
- 1994 – 2011: Member of the Association of Archaeological Illustrators & Surveyors which then merged with the Institute of Field Archaeologists (IFA).
- 1997 Leicester & 2004 Warwick organised the annual conferences for the Association of Archaeological Illustrators & Surveyors.
- Archaeological Illustrators & Surveyors served on Council as their Exhibitions Officer and the Assessments Panel for new AAI&S members.
- 2011 accepted as a full member of the Institute of Field Archaeologists (IFA).
- 2012 – 2015: served as a committee member for the Council for British Archaeology, East Midlands Branch.
- 2014 – 2015: represented the University of Leicester with the ‘Richard III Legacies Group’ (Diocese of Leicester, Leicester City and Leicestershire County councils, Richard III Society, Richard III Visitors Centre).
- 2014 – present: Member of the ‘Teachers Advisory Panel for Richard III’ (as part of the former Richard III Legacies Group).
- 2013 – present: Heritage Partner for Historic England's Heritage Schools Programme.
- 2011 – present: Assistant Leader with the Leicester Young Archaeologists Club as a volunteer.
- 2012 – present: University of Leicester Student Recruitment, Admissions and Widening Participation Committee Member.
Recent Public Events
- January 2013 Co-organised the Society of Historical Archaeology Public Day at the University of Leicester.
- March 2014 Co-organised and attended with the Richard III exhibition stand to the ‘Big Bang Science & Engineering Fair’ at the Birmingham National Exhibition Centre which attracted over 9000 visitors to the stand.
- April 2014 Organised open day for the Operation Nightingale, Whitewall Brake project at Caerwent, South East Wales.
- 2014 - 2015 Involved in delivering CPD on Richard III to teachers.
- 2013 - 2015 Co-coordinated and delivered the Archaeology & Genetics of Richard III sessions on campus to schools to over a 1000 school children.
- February/March 2015 Co-organised and helped to deliver the Richard III "King in the Classroom Project" to over 7,000 local primary and secondary school children.
- March 2015 organised the School of Archaeology & Ancient History's contribution to the Richard III university open day which attracted in excess of 1,000 visitors to the department.
- June 2015 attended the Royal Society Summer Fair, London with the Richard III Exhibition stand which attracted 150,000 visitors.
- June 2015 organised first public open day for the University of Leicester Bradgate Park Field School which attracted over 2000 visitors.
Awards & Distinctions
- December 2014 one of nine inaugural winners across the University of Leicester for the new Widening Participation Award.
- June 2015 Professional Services Award winner for the University of Leicester's Student Awards, Staff Superstar Category.
- July 2015 received from Historic England a Heritage Schools Partner Award.
- March 2015 with the School of Education CPD+, University of Leicester, helped to secure a tender to Historic England with three other university colleagues (Dr Tony Daniels, Director of Education CPD+, Dr Rose Griffiths, and Dr Chris Wilkinson) to research the viability of designing/delivering CPD Heritage programme to teachers to aid training, recognition and development.
- June 2015 secured funding from the University of Leicester's Widening Participation Fund, to deliver archaeology workshops to Widening Participation and Black Minority Ethnic primary and secondary school students by disseminating the archaeological research from the Bradgate Park Field School.
I manage the Facebook pages for the department
And co-manage https://www.facebook.com/BradgateParkFieldschool
Other WP/outreach activities include:
Archaeology Summer School residential, Aim Higher Events, talks to schools and archaeology/history societies, visits to both primary/secondary schools, development of educational materials, After School Archaeology Clubs, Young Archaeologists Club - Leicester branch, Community archaeology, organising public lectures and public archaeology days on/off campus, manager of the outreach programme for the Bradgate Park Field School 2015 - 2019.
- University of Leicester Career and Professional Development Working Group member.
- Sourcing new/organising work placements for students taking the Leicester Award, and our 3rd year undergraduate module in Archaeology & Ancient History in Education.
- Group Mentor for Professional Skills Projects, a 2nd year undergraduate employability module. Responsible for designing education based projects for our students to develop and deliver either to schools or the wider community (lesson plans, guide books, trails, and board games).
- Organising students that have graduated to return to talk to current students.
- Posting Careers Service and archaeology/heritage jobs to the departments Facebook page, circulating by email.
- Department representative to attend University of Leicester Employability Summits.
June 2015 - 2019. Bradgate Park Field School, Bradgate Park, Leicestershire. Manager of the outreach programme introducing schools and the community to the research investigations currently being undertaken of the park's archaeological features. Organising student volunteers to help deliver guided tours and hands on activities, and the projects open day to the public, organising Awesome Archaeology Summer School residential students participation at Bradgate. Developing educational materials related to the park and the archaeology project.
January 2012 - present. Operation Nightingale, Whitewall Brake Project, Caerwent, South-East Wales. A project that uses archaeology to rehabilitate injured soldiers returning from Afghanistan. Project set up by Sgt. Diarmaid Walsh and MOD Archaeologist Martin Brown. As the department's Outreach Officer my role has been to help recruit student volunteers to work alongside the soldiers. As a Archaeological Illustrator I have recorded some of the finds and offered tuition and advice to the soldiers on how to record.
July 2011 - Archaeology Summer School, Burrough Iron Age Hillfort, Leicestershire. Programme Organiser. First day on site for the Awesome Archaeology summer school the students were filmed by T.V. presenter and historian Michael Wood for his the BBC series televised in 2012 the "Story of the Nation" . The summer school also appeared in on BBC East Midlands news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-14122068
September 2009 - Kibworth High School Dig, Kibworth, Leicestershire. As part of the filming for the "Story of England", BBC televison series with T.V. presenter and historian Michael Wood.
July 2009 - Kibworth Community Dig, Kibworth, Leicestershire. As part of the filming for the "Story of England", for BBC television series with T.V.presenter and historian Michael Wood and Dr. Carenza Lewis.
June 2006 – to present. Kenchreai Roman Cemetery Project, Ancient Corinth, Southern Greece. Professor Joseph Rife (Vanderbilt University, USA)
July 2002 – Bova Marina Project, Calabia, and Southern Italy. Professor Lin Foxhall (University of Leicester), and Dr John Robb (Cambridge University)
July 2001 – The Dürrnberg Project, Dürrnberg near Salzburg, Austria. Professor Vincent Megaw, (Flinders University, Australia), Dr Thomas Stoellner (Bergabau Museum, Germany) and Dr Graham Morgan (University of Leicester)
September 2000 – Sangro Valley Project, Central Italy. Dr Neil Christie and Mr Paul Beavitt (University of Leicester)
July 1997 – Kfar Hahoresh, near Nazareth, Israel. Dr Nigel Gorring Morris (Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel)
September 1993 – Sumaqa, Carmel Hills, Israel. Dr Eleanor Scott (University of Leicester) and Professor Shimon Dar (Bar-Ilan University,Tel Aviv, Israel)
August 1992 – 1996 Cicolano Castles Project, Central Italy. Dr Neil Christie and Mr Paul Beavitt (University of Leicester)
August 1991 –Tuscania Project, British School, Rome, Italy. Professor Graeme Barker (University of Leicester) and Dr Tom Rasmussen (Manchester University)