Dr Penelope Allison
Reader in Archaeology and Ancient History
Subject: Roman Archaeology
MA, Ph.D. (Sydney), FSA, FAHA
Tel: 0116 252 2735
Penelope Allison grew up on a sheep farm in North Canterbury, New Zealand. Her undergraduate degree was in Pure Mathematics from the University of Canterbury (New Zealand), and her MA Prelim, MA Honours, and PhD in Archaeology from the University of Sydney. She was a Rome Scholar at the British School at Rome.
She has taught archaeology and ancient history at the University of Sydney, the Australian National University, and the University of Sheffield. She was Australian Research Council Postdoctoral Fellow and a U2000 Research Fellow at Sydney University, and an Australian Research Council Queen Elizabeth II Fellow at the Australian National University. She has held an Australian Bicentennial fellowship in the Faculty of Classics, University of Cambridge, and a visiting fellowship at St John's College, University of Durham. She became a Reader in Archaeology at the Australian National University in 2005. In 2006 she joined the School of Archaeology and Ancient History at Leicester as a 'New Blood Lecturer' and became a Reader in Archaeology and Ancient History in 2007. She is a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries and an Honorary Fellow of the Australian Academy of Humanities.
- and projects
- Selected recent publications
- Research students
- Topic for supervision - Household archaeology; Pompeii; Roman art and archaeology; Consumption approaches to Roman artefacts; Space and gender in archaeology; Digital archaeology
- AH7360/AR7560 - 'Houses, households and domestic life in the ancient world
- AH7052 - 'Text and Material Culture'
- AH3060 ‘Households and domesticity in the ancient world’ (campus-based)
- AH3550 ‘Households and families in the past’ (distance learning)
- AH3062 'Classical art in context' (campus-based)
- AH2026 'Roman imperialism and its consequences (campus-based)
Coordinator for Erasmus Student Exchange Programme
Coordinator for School webpages
Further details in full curriculum vitae