Archaeology and Ancient History at Leicester
We deliver undergraduate and master's teaching to the highest standards, both in campus-based mode and by distance learning, with National Student Survey (NSS) feedback indicating outstanding student satisfaction. In the NSS returns for 2015 we scored 95% overall, and a maximum 100% for staff enthusiasm!
We supervise over 80 Postgraduate Research students (Ph.D. students), both on campus and via distance learning. They have an impressive record of achievement during and beyond their doctoral degree.
Our particular strengths in prehistoric, Greek, Roman, medieval, historical, and scientific Archaeology are uniquely well integrated with a large team of Ancient History experts dealing with the cultures, landscapes, economies, and politics of the Greek and Roman world using textual sources and archaeology. Staff in both disciplines collaborate closely, the Mediterranean world being particularly well covered.
In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) exercise, 74% of our research activity, including 100% of our Research Environment, was classed as 'world-leading' or 'internationally excellent', ranking us 6th out of universities that teach archaeology in the UK. We are also ranked 1st for the public impact of our research
The award-winning University of Leicester Archaeological Services (ULAS), the team that found King Richard III, forms part of the School.
Why choose us?
- Exciting courses for undergraduates and postgraduates
- World-class research rankings, including top-quality support for research students
- Inter-disciplinary teaching and research, integrating archaeological and historical approaches
- Flexibility to switch between campus-based and distance learning study modes, where appropriate
- Careers, employability, and outreach opportunities for campus-based students at all levels which are externally recognised as excellent
- Close collaboration with a leading professional archaeological unit
- Excellent facilities for teaching and research, in a friendly and supportive working environment