Archaeology and Ancient History at Leicester
The School of Archaeology & Ancient History comprises a world-class, international team of scholars engaged in cutting-edge research and teaching.
Our particular strengths in prehistoric, Greek, Roman, medieval, historical, and scientific Archaeology are uniquely well integrated with a large team of Ancient History experts dealing with the cultures, landscapes, economies, and politics of the Greek and Roman world using textual sources and and archaeology. Staff in both disciplines collaborate closely, the Mediterranean world being particularly well covered.
In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), published in December 2014, 74% of our research activity, including 100% of our Research Environment, was classed as 'world-leading' or 'internationally excellent', placing us in the top half-dozen Archaeology departments in the UK. We rank 1st among UK Archaeology departments for the public impact of our research.
We deliver undergraduate and master's teaching to the highest standards, both in Campus-Based mode and by Distance Learning, with National Student Survey feedback indicating outstanding student satisfaction. We have over 80 research students (either Campus-Based or Distance Learning), who have an impressive record of achievement during and beyond their doctoral degree.
The award-winning University of Leicester Archaeological Services (ULAS), the team that found King Richard III, forms part of the School.
Why choose us?
- Exciting courses for undergraduates and postgraduates
- World-class research rankings, including top-quality support for research students
- Inter-disciplinary teaching and research, integrating archaeological and historical approaches
- Flexibility to switch between campus-based and Distance Learning study modes, where appropriate
- Careers, Employability, and Outreach opportunities for campus-based students at all levels, externally recognized as excellent
- Close collaboration with a leading professional archaeological unit
- Excellent facilities for teaching and research, in a friendly and supportive working environment