Archaeology and Ancient History at Leicester
The School of Archaeology and Ancient History (part of the newly founded College of Social Sciences, Arts, & Humanities) comprises a world-class, international team of scholars engaged in cutting-edge research and teaching.
We deliver undergraduate and master's teaching to the highest standards, both in Campus-Based mode and by Distance Learning, with National Student Survey feedback indicating outstanding student satisfaction. In the NSS returns for 2015 we scored 95% overall, and a maximum 100% for staff enthusiasm!
We supervise over 80 research students (both Campus-Based and Distance Learning), who have an impressive record of achievement during and beyond their doctoral degree.
Our particular strengths in prehistoric, Greek, Roman, medieval, historical, and scientific Archaeology are uniquely well integrated with a large team of Ancient History experts dealing with the cultures, landscapes, economies, and politics of the Greek and Roman world using textual sources and and archaeology. Staff in both disciplines collaborate closely, the Mediterranean world being particularly well covered.
In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) exercise, 74% of our research activity, including 100% of our Research Environment, was classed as 'world-leading' or 'internationally excellent', placing us in the top half-dozen Archaeology departments in the UK. We rank 1st among UK Archaeology departments for the public impact of our research.
The award-winning University of Leicester Archaeological Services (ULAS), the team that found King Richard III, forms part of the School.
Why choose us?
- Exciting courses for undergraduates and postgraduates
- World-class research rankings, including top-quality support for research students
- Inter-disciplinary teaching and research, integrating archaeological and historical approaches
- Flexibility to switch between campus-based and Distance Learning study modes, where appropriate
- Careers, Employability, and Outreach opportunities for campus-based students at all levels, externally recognized as excellent
- Close collaboration with a leading professional archaeological unit
- Excellent facilities for teaching and research, in a friendly and supportive working environment
The following video highlights the skills and experiences you will gain from studying at the School of Archaeology and Ancient History, as well as the range of opportunities available.