Protein Expression Laboratory (PROTEX)
The Protein Expression Laboratory (PROTEX) has been established to provide a high throughput service for cloning and small-scale protein expression trials. The laboratory is designed to serve the needs of structural biology, enzymology and molecular & cell biology including genome editing across the College.
The pLEICS vectors, developed by PROTEX, can be used to express proteins in E. coli, mammalian cells, baculovirus, Pichia Pastoris, Drosophila, Xenopus and cell-free systems, with a choice of tags including: His6, S, GST, Trx, MBP, FLAG, TAP, HA, Myc, EG/C/YFP, Cherry, Mistic, FlAsH, luciferase, GB1, Halo, hBirA, miniSOG and APEX2.
Six types of services are offered by Protex:
• Clone into pLEICS vector(s) – choice of 132 vectors, including 42 CRISPR-Cas9 vectors
• Adaption of customer’s vectors for LIC method
• Clone into customer’s vector(s)
• Preparation of designed mutations in protein coding regions
• 1ml His-tagged protein expression trials in E. coli
• Provide KATA purifier equipment and technique support for scale up protein purification
The laboratory will also provide expert advice in CRISPR-Cas9 genome editing, protein expression and selection of suitable regions to express.