The Nichols Archive Project

Nichols Project

The papers accumulated and collected by John Nichols and his family of printers and antiquaries between 1745 and 1873 are a major source for the study of the book trade, of antiquarianism and of lives and letters in Britain in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.  As proprietors of one of London’s leading printing houses and editors of the Gentleman’s Magazine, they were at the heart of a national network of information exchange between members of the London and provincial book trade, antiquaries, bibliographers, collectors, artists, engravers and writers.  Their personal research interests ranged from literary biography to local history and from genealogy to the collecting of autograph letters.

The Nichols Archive Project provides an analytical guide to the enormous quantity of letters and papers accumulated and collected by the Nichols family from the time of John Nichols (1745-1826) to the death of his equally illustrious grandson, John Gough Nichols, in 1873.  It includes detailed calendars of their correspondence, full transcripts of their personal diaries and travel journals, studies of their library catalogues and collected papers, a union index to those named in their papers and a detailed chronology of their lives, interests and achievements.

The Nichols Archive Project has been awarded two grants by the Bibliographical Society.  The second of these, in 2000, was associated with the name of the Antiquarian Booksellers’ Association.  In 2001 the Project was awarded a major grant by the Leicestershire Archaeological and Historical Society.  Generous funding from the William Lambarde Memorial Fund of the Society of Antiquaries of London was awarded in 2004.  British Academy Overseas Conference Grants have been awarded for papers given to the Renaissance Society of America in New York in 2004 and the Johnson at 300 Symposium at Harvard University in 2009.
Julian Pooley is archivist in charge of Public Services at Surrey History Centre and Honorary Visiting Fellow of the Centre for English Local History at the University of Leicester.

For further details contact Julian Pooley FSA c/o Surrey History Centre, 130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, Surrey, GU21 6ND jpooley@surreycc.gov.uk

 

Share this page: