The quality of patients’ lives and advances in treatment and care are negatively affected by the current deficiencies in dedicated laboratory space and specialised equipment for Cardiovascular Research. This reduces time for focused research and leads to delays in converting results into improved risk reduction and patient care.
Our research and clinical work today urgently requires;
- More laboratory space and of a better quality, particularly given the need to grow the service and bring on more specialists.
- The siting of core laboratory research on one site, thereby improving research effectiveness.
- A significant increase in space for sample storage and analysis.
- More major research equipment, including specialist robotic systems for sample processing and storage to support larger scale research.
- Greater access to specialist equipment, so researchers do not lack state-of-the-art resources and economies of scale can be realised.
- An advanced IT link between the University and the Hospital to support development strategies, systems and processes to manage and mine a massively increased volume of patient data.
- A centralised system for linking the recruitment of patients with cardiovascular disease to research teams on a much greater scale.
- Better use of the rich research potential of clinical information collected on patients during their hospital journey.
To return to the Leicester Cardiovascular Research Centre Appeal page click here.