The University of Leicester is a leading UK University committed to international excellence through the creation of world changing research and high quality, inspirational teaching. Leicester is consistently one of the most socially inclusive of the UK’s top 20 universities with a long-standing commitment to providing fairer and equal access to higher education.
In 2008, when awarding it the title, University of the Year, the judges of the Times Higher Education magazine cited Leicester’s ability to “evidence commitment to high quality, a belief in the synergy of teaching and research and a conviction that higher education is a power for good”. Leicester was, said the judges, "elite without being elitist".
Establishing itself as one of the foremost universities in the UK, we have risen in every major league table and are consistently ranked in the top 20 out of over 120 universities.
- 14th in the Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide and top ranked university in the East Midlands
- 14th in the Times Higher Education Table of Tables
- 19th in the Complete University Guide
- 21st in the Guardian University Guide
- Leicester was named runner-up University of the Year in the Times/Sunday Times University Guide 2014.
Leicester is ranked in the top 2% of universities in the world by the QS World University Rankings and THE World University Rankings. In 2013 Leicester was the highest climbing UK university in the THE World Rankings, moving up 35 places to 161st in the table.
The University has won Times Higher Awards in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and most recently in 2013 for Outstanding Communications Team and Outstanding Fundraising Initiative. It is the only university to win awards in seven consecutive years.
In 2013 our Students' Union was named HE Students' Union of the Year in the NUS Awards.
High quality research and teaching
- Research by THE and Opinion Panel published in February 2011 rated Leicester third best in England (after Oxford and Cambridge) for the quality of lecturing staff.
- Leicester’s Quality Related research funding (QR) is the 19th highest of Britain’s 120 universities.
- Leicester has one of the highest proportions of staff who are research active in the UK, with approximately 93% of staff submitted for the national 2008 Research Assessment Exercise. Of these, Leicester has 87% of research activity deemed by the RAE to be producing internationally significant research.
- Leicester is home to the department with greatest concentration of world class research of any department of any discipline in the UK – in our Department of Museum Studies.
Athena SWAN Award
University of Leicester is committed to promoting equality for women in academia. In 2006, we signed up to the Athena SWAN charter for women in science. In 2008 we were awarded with a bronze Athena SWAN award and this was renewed in 2011, 2012 and 2013. Health Sciences achieved a University first by being granted a Silver award in 2013.
Athena SWAN (Scientific Women's Academic Network), is a UK programme that celebrates recognition and commitment to advancing women’s careers in Science, Technology, engineering, maths and medicine in Higher Education and research. Find out more about the award on the Athena SWAN website.
Stonewall Diversity Champion
The University is a member of the Stonewall Diversity Champions programme, with the principle aim of ensuring that lesbian, gay and bisexual (LGB) employees are supported in the working environment, and as a public declaration of our support for LGB equality and inclusion. The University has been a member of the Diversity Champions programme since 2013.
Leicester is the first university in UK to receive Coeliac UK accreditation. Coeliac UK audited the University's kitchens and confirmed that, as a result, it had decided to award its gluten-free accreditation to Leicester, making it the first UK university to receive this accolade.